FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

DE3 - HSMC connector layout

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i have a Problem with the HSMC connector layout. On the Top of the Board there is a male HSTC conector. I designed a dautherboard with a female one to plug it in there, but the problem is, that the voltage pins, that are masked on the female one don't fit to those on the DE3 board. Do i have to use a male conector on my dautherboard then and connect it with the adapter-thing that is included in the DE3 package or how is this done normaly? (on the hsmc-net board i have it is done this way)  

And another question, what is the 5th adapter for which has a male and a female HSMC and two leds on it? does it do anything? 

thanks in advance
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you exactly mean with "don't fit"? I understand, that the HSMC supply pins are unconnected on the DE-3 bottom connectors. But why can't you connect them on your board? Does your connector have no pins in the respective places or are you unclear about the right pin positions?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my female connector is like this  

sig sig 

sig sig 

NC NC  

sig sig 

sig sig 

NC NC  

the male connector on the DE3 board is like this: 

Vcc Vcc 

sig sig 

sig sig 

Vcc Vcc  

sig sig  

so when i plug it in the pins mask a signal and Vcc is connected to a signal pin.  

do i always have to use the female-female-adapters to connect a dautherboard then?  

the board i boaught (hsmc.net) is connected this way. it has a male hsmc and is mounted on the male connectors on the DE3, just was wondering why this is done this way?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can't the female connector on your daughterboard design be wired correctly?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no it can't because of the masked pins. They just mask the wrong pins.  

I think i will just use a male one and then connect it with the adapter thing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had difficulties to understand your statement about the "masked" pins. Which Samtec connector type are you using in your daughterboard? The standard -D type connector with all pins populated would always be able to connect the intended signals. 

P.S.: It sems to me, that Terasic did something strange when defining the "HSTC" connector based on Altera HSMC.
0 Kudos