FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5924 Discussions

DE4-230 project using Ethernet or USB interface

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I've bought a DE4-230 dev. board because i'd like to implement a little custom calculation system controlled from pc by means of USB or Ethernet interface...to send start or stop command and receive data from this custom system... 

I'd like to know what i should do to design that....on web i found many documents about NIOS II, SOPC builder, etc....that i don't know well...ARE THEY THE RIGHT WAY TO OPERATE??? THE EASIEST WAY?? 

and If they are the right way.....how must I connect my custom VHDL system block with the other blocks??? What other blocks must I insert??? 

thanks 

G.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Start by building a small system and blinking a LED. Your questions are too wide for correct answers.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah, the best way is to start by examples that will give you ideas on how to operate. 

Depending on the complexity of development and the facility of use you can: 

- Easiest : use in system memory content editor 

- System console http://www.altera.com/education/training/courses/oemb1117 

- JTAG uart or real uart interfacing (with your own app) 

- TCP Sockets with custom communication protocol for sending requests to the board to refresh upload or download your data also with your own PC app.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

ok...but is it really necessary using nios II???...I saw there's the ISP1761 module on DE4-board....is it possible implementing a vhdl control module to interface my custom calculation system with ISP1761 module instead of using a nios ii system...?
0 Kudos