FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5241 Discussions

DE5-Net uses only 4 PCIe lanes

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

after installing a DE5-Net I ran the aocl diagnose acl0 command and I saw that the top transfer speed was of only 1124.51 mb/s and 1559.28 mb/s for writes and reads respectively. 

It looked odd since the beginning because with 8 lanes that transfer at 500MB/s/lane I have a nominal speed of 4000 MB/s and the results I got show only a 38% of efficiency in the driver. 

Thereafter, I wrote my own OpenCL benchmark increasing the block size and I got similar results. Still perplexed, I looked into the driver and I found the following statement: 

--- Quote Start ---  

The driver achieves approximately 3100 MB/sec on gen2 x 8 PCIe core with SG DMA on Stratix IV GX FPGA (77.5% efficiency) 

--- Quote End ---  

This showed me that I'm getting only half of the achievable bandwidth. 

Finally, using the PCI utilities I found out that even if the PCI slot is a x8 the card has negotiated a x4 width (see output below). 

Is it a driver problem?  

Am I missing something? 

Does somebody know how to use all the 8 lanes?  

p.s: I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I also made sure that PCI Express Control DIP Switch on the bottom is set as suggested in the user manual: SW7.1 and SW7.2 off, and SW7.3 on. 

# lspci -vv -s 0a:00.0 

0a:00.0 Unassigned class : Altera Corporation Device ab00 (rev 01) Subsystem: Altera Corporation Device 0004 Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx- Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx- Latency: 0 Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16 Region 0: Memory at f2100000 (64-bit, prefetchable) Capabilities: MSI: Enable- Count=1/4 Maskable- 64bit+ Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000 Capabilities: Power Management version 3 Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-) Status: D0 NoSoftRst- PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME- Capabilities: Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00 DevCap: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset- DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported- RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+ MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend- LnkCap: Port# 1, Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM not supported, Exit Latency L0s <4us, L1 <1us ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+ ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt- LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x4, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt- DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range ABCD, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF Not Supported DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF Disabled LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis- Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS- Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete-, EqualizationPhase1- EqualizationPhase2-, EqualizationPhase3-, LinkEqualizationRequest- Capabilities: Virtual Channel Caps: LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1 Arb: Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- Ctrl: ArbSelect=Fixed Status: InProgress- VC0: Caps: PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans- Arb: Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256- Ctrl: Enable+ ID=0 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=01 Status: NegoPending- InProgress- Capabilities: Vendor Specific Information: ID=a000 Rev=0 Len=044 <?> Kernel driver in use: aclpci
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, I was missing something: BIOS settings :oops: 

Mod you can close or delete here. Thanks
LZERI
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same problem with Cyclone V SoC kit.

Can you tell how you resolved this problem?

Best regards