FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5157 Discussions

DHCP at power up doesn't request IP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Board: RocketBoards Cyclone V SoC Development Kit 

Connections: USB to host computer from serial terminal (J7), Ethernet to switch (J3). 

I have verified the connections above are correct and working. I can get the terminal running using Putty. Through this terminal, I observe the boot messages after a power up. I see these messages: 

Sending discover... 

Sending discover... 

No lease, failing 

On the LCD, I see the message "No IP obtained Hello Tim!" and I use the "ifconfig eth0" command to verify that the board did NOT get an IP. I also run Wireshark at the same time, and I never see any DHCP requests. 

However, if I run the command "ifup eth0" after power up, the interface eth0 is brought up as expected and an IP address is obtained from the DHCP server. Also, I observe a good DHCP interchange in the Wireshark listing. 

Also, after power and subsequent failure to get an IP, I can run the command "shutdown -r now" and the board successfully reboots (not power cycle) and successfully gets an IP from the DHCP server. So, I see that the Linux initialization works, but not after a power cycle.  

Is the DHCP client (udhcpc) is not waiting long enough? How do I configure the client anyway? Why doesn't the client send out a DHCP request, or "Discover", after a power up? It does it properly after reboot, but not power cycle. Clear?
0 Kudos
0 Replies