FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

DVI on Stratix II Audio Video Dev. Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all: 

I am currently getting started to drive a DVI output on the Stratix II Audio Video Development Board and I am very new to it all. I have no prior experience with DVI signals, much less writing a controller for them. I am looking for some educational material to get me started. Any ideas? 

Thank you so much.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've done quite a bit with that board. 

Well as far as driving the DVI chip, the datasheet is your best bet: 

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/sii-ds-0081.pdf 

Basically all you're doing is driving RGB color values to the chip along with vertical and horizontal blanking signals. It's pretty straightforward. 

The kit includes a test example "s2gx_sdi_dvi_1pixel_per_clk.qar" in the "Examples\ManufacturingTestDesigns" folder of the kit install directory. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you sir! I have done some work with VGA in the past and have driven those sync signals. I'm hoping the learning curve from here to there isn't too steep!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After attempting to run the DVI loopback test many times, without successful result, I am wondering what I must be doing wrong. 

I followed the configuration steps given in the .v file in the project, downloading via USB blaster to the FPGA, with a working DVI-D cable in a loop, and I get no output on the LEDs. 

Am I missing an obvious configuration step? I am under the impression that when configuring via JTAG there is no need to alter the configuration DIP switches. I have all power levels enabled. 

I am at a loss. Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This may sound silly but it's worth asking. When the SIIGX A/V kit was first produced they couldn't get any of the Silicon Image DVI IC's (RX or TX). I have two boards; one of them does not have the ICs and the other does. Look at the board near the DVI connectors. Are the IC's even populated? 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The ICs are there. I got the loopback test running early this morning. I had not loaded the one-wire interface onto the Max device before working with the FPGA. Embarrassing, I know. Ha. 

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there any literature on driving a DVI signal outside of the loopback test and the 1162 Data sheet?

0 Kudos