FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Debugging Cyclone V Dev board with USB-blaster

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to verify that I can use a USB Blaster (Rev C) with DS-5 to debug the HPS Core0 in a Cyclone V. 

I've created the hello world program and can load it with the onboard USB Blaster II. Using that same project and just switching it to use an external USB Blaster connected to J23, it will connect and stop the core, but the load of the axf file always fails. 

loadfile "C:\Users\208005267\Documents\newworkspace\test\Debug\test.axf

ERROR(CMD16-TAD274-NAL20):  

! Failed to load "test.axf" 

! Failed to write 16,504 bytes to address S:0xFFFF0000 while writing block of 4,096 bytes to address S:0xFFFF0000 

! Verify error on memory operation. 

The project should be fine since it works with the on-board USB Blaster II. The connectivity to the part is fine since it connects and stops the process. This isn't a large project (less than 16K), so its well within the oc ram area. 

What am I missing or what things might others suggest that I try ?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Poster,  

Did u try with other external USB Blaster cable? Just to isolate the cable issue.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've tried two. Both gave the same response. They can see the HPS on the chain, but don't see to support the load of .axf, even for a pretty small project. 

These two blaster cables have worked fine with other boards and tasks, so they aren't duds.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

just double confirm the jumpers of the board is the correct position?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

and also you are create the hello workd by referring to the soc eds guide document right? I tried USb blaster or blasterII it works

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I was starting with the hello world in the soc eds guide. 

It works with the built in USB Blaster II for me, so would think I have a 'known good' project. Certainly known good enough to get it loaded into RAM. I'm pretty sure the jumpers would be okay as it works for the built in setup. I've tried putting only the HPS on the jtag chain and having the HPS and FPGA on the chain, but doesn't seem to make any difference. I can see what's there with jtagconfig and I can write a couple of words to OCRAM from the command window in DS-5, but then I get errors there too, so it seems to be poor signal integrity somewhere along the way. 

Sounds like either I have some issue with my eval board or some part of my system. That's nearly all of what I wanted to accomplish. 

Would you be willing to verify a few details for what you were using ? 

- revision of eval board (I have 'C') 

- revision of eds/ds-5 (I'm using 14.1 as my current ds-5 license is dated back such that it doesn't support 15.0+) 

Thanks
0 Kudos