FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Delidding FPGA

BD28
Beginner

Currently, I am attempting to perform an DPA on the the Intel Altera Aria 10 GX FPGA. I have ran into an issue during the delidding process, which is the thermal expoxy cauisng a strong bond between the heatspreader and board. I am seeking information to delidd the component without damaging internal components, is there a process that exists or person that can be contacted?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am checking this with my internal team. Will be back for further information.

Regards,

Aiman

BD28
Beginner

Aiman,

Has your team provided any additional information?

BD

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know why you need to do the delidding process?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Additional question, please explain what is DPA and why do you need to do it? Please note that once the device has been delidded, the warranty of the device is voided.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
BD28
Beginner

Destructive Physical Analysis, This in order to confirm that device construction and design aligns with the standards for use in different applications and enviroments, that require high reliability. 

BD

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The delidding process is as follow:

• Heat the device/lid to about 100C. This will soften the lid attachment epoxy and the thermal interface material (TIM). Make sure the temperature is maintained as this will soften the TIM and lid attachment epoxy.
  • Using an exactor knife or blade, slide the lid open along the lid to substrate interface. 

Again, please be noted that  once the lid is removed, the warranty of the device is voided. There will be no further support from Intel.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

• Heat the device/lid to about 100C. This will soften the lid attachment epoxy and the thermal interface material (TIM). Make sure the temperature is maintained as this will soften the TIM and lid attachment epoxy.
  • Using an exactor knife or blade, slide the lid open along the lid to substrate interface. 

Again, please be noted that  once the lid is removed, the warranty of the device is voided. There will be no further support from Intel.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos