FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

DeoNanoSoc: sources problem to make whole SD card!

APaci1
Novice

Hello!

I have great difficult to find relaible sources and procedures to do complete chain for a running SD CARD with Angstrom Linux for DeoNanoSoc.

Quartus 18.1 compiling, Preloader, U-boot and Device Tree runs fine after some corrections and I obtain the files.

Problems start passing to Angstrom (I use a Oracle VM with Ubuntu 14.06 .. i'm testing 32 and 64 bit version

1) On Rocketboard.org, starting from original Terasic DeoNanoSoc, steps are freezed to Quartus 15 version and there aren't valid link for Angstrom... pass forward:

2)I try ANGSTROM 2017.12-Yocto 2.4 : it doens't find /schintzeltony/ distro on github and process stops :-(

4) try ANGSTROM 2018.06-Yocto 2.5 : All scripts goes but when I launch last one (bitbake gsrd-console-image, I obtain bitbake command not found!

5) ANGSTROM 2019.04 : Try procedures from Rocketboard/Arria10 SoC system, why it says that is possible replace target machine with Cyclone5 : here problems starts when preparing ubuntu apt-get: lib32z1 is never found.. ok, pass : here bitbake runs, but, instead I correct the row Arria10 with Cyclone5.. bitbake fatal error says that MACHINE-Cyclone5 is invalid!!!!

What is the correct Angstrom version or procedure to compile it for DeoNAnoSoc??? I follow all Altera reccomended procedures but it is impossible to find a errorless procedure.....

PLEASE SOMEONE HAS MAKE COMPLETE PROCESS SUCCESSFULLY?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!! I'M IN A SERIOUS BUNCH!!!!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
APaci1
Novice

Ok, today I'm testing a "robertofem" link for Angstrom 2016:

https://github.com/robertofem/CycloneVSoC-examples/tree/master/SD-operating-system/Angstrom-v2016.12

It seems well made.

But, when I launch repo sync command, I found same fatal error due to not valid link!!!!!error repo sync v2016.jpg

I'm very astonished about difficulty to obtain this goal!!!! Intel (altera) says that Ubuntu 14.06 and rockeboard istructions are good for their SoCS but I find really a BUNCH OF ERRORS. Does it exists a qualiy checked way to work with Linux in reliable mode???????

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee
Hello sir, Are you looking for a DE0 Nano SoC linux image? which linux kernel are you targeting? Thanks
0 Kudos
APaci1
Novice

hi, Jumaah!!!!

Following Rocketboard/Altera Cyclon5 compiling Linux 2018.06 I just arrived to bitbake command process successfully

But if I select -minimal option, process fails.

Now I'm attempting with

bitbake gsrd-console-image.... and waiting for completation

0 Kudos
APaci1
Novice

This test is to replay whole process to test it on Terasic DeoNanoSoc. Next step is to prepare SD for our Cyclone5 prototype board.

On this, we wish to boot FPGA from EPCS separately and HPS boot from SD CARD the first time, and next from NAND. So, we should prepare an SD without .rbf file? Only remove it? Modifiy boot.scr??

So I'm search info or procedures to copy the Linux image for SD CARD to Nand.. this is interesting job!

Thanks for any info

0 Kudos
APaci1
Novice

The step "Linux Compiling" seems doesnt' require to have the HW folder of whole GHRD inside my Linux Virtual Machine.. so only crosspoint with device tree and so will be made assembling the SD image??

So, I prepare Preloader, U-boot and Device Tree on my Windows Quartus-DS5 machine, and then pass to Linux Kernel compile and SD card assembly on Linux PC, copyng needed dtb, rbf etc etc files.

It seems strange to me compiling Linux without HW references.... it is correct?

0 Kudos
APaci1
Novice

OK, THIS MORNING ANGSTROM 2018.06 COMPILING IS ENDED SUCCESFULLY

NEXT STEP IS OBTAIN AN SD CARD:

I OBTAINED PRELOADER UBOOT DEVICE TREE UNDER QUARTUS-DS5 WINDOWS SYSTEM, STARTING FROM MY SOCPFGA_SOC GHRD DIRECTORY

I COMPILED ANGSTROM SEPARATELY UNDER V.M. 64BIT UBUNTU

NOW, I UNDERSTAND FROM ROCKETBOARD , I CAN COPYSOCPFGA_SOC GHRD DIRECTORY UNDER LINUX, AND LAUNCH Python SCRIPTS TO MAKE SD CARD IMAGE

IT IS CORRECT?

THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION, PROCEDURE IS NOT WELL CLEAR.. IT TELLS TO RE-OBTAIN UBOOT FROM BITBAKE COMMANDS (???)

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee
Hello sir, Yes you can use the python script to write the image to sdcard, from here you can download the pre-loaded image, burn it to an sdcard, then change the rbf file, uboot and preloader, kernel file and device tree, since this would help in partitioning the sdcard, and write the rootfs for you. https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=163&No=941&PartNo=4 Thanks
0 Kudos
APaci1
Novice

Thanks, Jumaah. In the meanwhile we have made some "progress".

I finished the whole chain

KERNEL : After angstrom 2018.06 compiling (7 hours) I found a bunch of files inside ../deply/glibic/images/cyclone5

I prepared a folder with all requested files (Preloader-mkpimage.bin,soc_system.rbf,soc_system.dtb,u-boot.img,u-boot.scr,zImage, rootfs archive compressed and rootfs expanded)

zImage file is only 4.7 MB (i found same dimensions on reference SD card, so it should be right...)

ROOTFS: I try to decompress rootfs archive (Angstrom-gsrd-console-image..rootfs.tar.gz) , and I obtained a rootfs large folder

Then I launch python make_sd_image.py script

It runs fine and I obtained my SD IMAGE (!)

Attempting to boot Terasic DeoNanoSOc, monitor on uart says : (rbf file is loaded correctly, I think..)

READING U-BOOT.IMG

SPL: ERROR READING IMAGE U-BOOT, ERR -1

Uart DIsplay is attached here ..

MY GOAL IS TO UNDERSTAND WHOLE OPERATION CHAIN to obtain a booting sd card, in order to reproduce this procedure on our Self-developed Cyclone5 Card... SO I need to put my RBF and my preloader/u-boot to test my hardware: but first I must be confident that I can make the process running well on Terasic card... this is an hard work for me (I not have linux soc experiences before current work)

Thanks for any tips!

ATTACHED SCREENSHOTS:

PUTTY SCREEN booting my first card image on Terasic DeoNAnoSoc

0 Kudos