FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Different FPGAs (different amount of ALMs), same Estimated Resource Usage given by OpenCL compiler

JGuerra
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I've implemented a OpenCL kernel and compiling it for two different FPGAs with two different amounts of ALMs, the compiler generates the same estimated resource usage:

; Estimated Resource Usage Summary

; Resource / Usage

; Logic utilization / 222%

; ALUTs / 146%

; Dedicated logic registers / 90%

; Memory blocks / 58%

; DSP blocks / 129%

One FPGA is the Cyclone V 5CSEBA6U23I7 from DE10-Nano board, with 41910 ALMs, 5662720 Memory Bits and 112 DSP blocks. I'm using the BSP for SDK OpenCL 18.1 downloaded from Terasic site.

The other FPGA is the Cyclone V 5CSEMA5F31C6 from DE1-SoC board, with 32070 ALMs, 4065280 Memory Bits and 87 DSP blocks. I'm using the BSP for SDK OpenCL 16.0 also downloaded from Terasic site.

Some BSP has a incorrect information that generates this same estimation, right?

Anyone knows how to solve this possible issue?

I was thinking of sending a e-mail directly to Terasic support, but first I would like to ask this question in their forums and the link in their site redirected me to here :)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Douglas_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The resources used by the BSP are listed in the board_spec.xml file located in the hardware/device directory of the BSP. (for example hardware/c10gx) It's possible Terasic forgot to update that file when creating the BSP. It's just a text file, so you can edit it if you want. However, the estimates shown using the -report option are very approximate. For a much better estimate, please use the report.html file.

0 Kudos