FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

Do the UART and JTAG on Altera Max 10 Kit Conflict?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using an altera max 10 development kit (https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/max-10-fpga-development-kit.html) and successfully program it via USB Blaster JTAG header J14. I added an RS-232 from the University IP that uses USB to UART (J11). I just use it as plain IP with no processor 

So if I open the Quartus Programmer and program the FPGA and then open a TeraTerm terminal (happens to be COM 18) I can send output to the TeraTerm window from the FPGA. However, if I leave the TeraTerm open and try to program the FPGA again, it says "No Hardware". If I close the TeraTerm window I can again program the MAX 10.  

Is there some sort of conflict between the two? I can't find anything in the datasheet or schematic that indicates such an issue.  

(https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/max-10-fpga-development-kit.html)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sounds like a case of a well known problem, USB Blaster conflicting with other FTDI devices: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2015 

With the Altera MAX10 Development Kit, the simple solution is to use built-in USB Blaster II instead of external USB Blaster.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FvM, thanks. Looks like a problem with a long history.  

At first I did not understand your suggestion, but I see the onboard USB Blaster uses a Cypress chip instead of FTDI. For some reason, I'm having trouble getting it to work at all (which is why I was using the old cable). I was thinking of trying an Ethernet Blaster II, but they are pretty expensive and for all I know have an FTDI chip in them.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, ethernet blaster shouldn't show conflicts with FTDI driver. But I don't thing that it's appropriate here. 

Embedded USB Blaster II not working sounds like a different driver problem. I'm not using it yet, thus I can't help in this regard. But it should definitely work, review the Altera troubleshooting guides.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The embedded USB worked at first. It's possible I fried something with a scope probe although everything else works. Since a new Max10 Kit is $200 and a Ethernet Blaster is $450, I guess I'll try a new kit first.  

I've noticed the download is much faster on one of the USB ports directly connected to the motherboard as opposed to a USB hub (even with nothing else on the hub). I had thought the Ethernet Blaster might not have that problem. You say it's not appropriate here; have you had bad experience with it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, ethernet Blaster is working well, although the address setup can be a bit tricky if the DHCP server doesn't support host name resolution. I meant that it's really good for remote debugging, but USB Blaster or USB Blaster II are less expensive and easier to handle.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Terasic Blaster (a USB Blaster equivalent) is a much more cost effective deal for the budget conscious ($50) than are the Altera equivalent devices ($225-$300).

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately the Terasic Blaster (as well as classical Altera USB Blaster) conflicts with FTDI USB-to-serial bridge on recent Windows 7 and 10 OS, which is the problem originally discussed in this thread. Do you have a solution for it?

0 Kudos