FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5276 Discussions

Do the UART and JTAG on Altera Max 10 Kit Conflict?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using an altera max 10 development kit (https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/max-10-fpga-development-kit.html) and successfully program it via USB Blaster JTAG header J14. I added an RS-232 from the University IP that uses USB to UART (J11). I just use it as plain IP with no processor 

So if I open the Quartus Programmer and program the FPGA and then open a TeraTerm terminal (happens to be COM 18) I can send output to the TeraTerm window from the FPGA. However, if I leave the TeraTerm open and try to program the FPGA again, it says "No Hardware". If I close the TeraTerm window I can again program the MAX 10.  

Is there some sort of conflict between the two? I can't find anything in the datasheet or schematic that indicates such an issue.  

(https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/max-10-fpga-development-kit.html)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sounds like a case of a well known problem, USB Blaster conflicting with other FTDI devices: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2015 

With the Altera MAX10 Development Kit, the simple solution is to use built-in USB Blaster II instead of external USB Blaster.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FvM, thanks. Looks like a problem with a long history.  

At first I did not understand your suggestion, but I see the onboard USB Blaster uses a Cypress chip instead of FTDI. For some reason, I'm having trouble getting it to work at all (which is why I was using the old cable). I was thinking of trying an Ethernet Blaster II, but they are pretty expensive and for all I know have an FTDI chip in them.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, ethernet blaster shouldn't show conflicts with FTDI driver. But I don't thing that it's appropriate here. 

Embedded USB Blaster II not working sounds like a different driver problem. I'm not using it yet, thus I can't help in this regard. But it should definitely work, review the Altera troubleshooting guides.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The embedded USB worked at first. It's possible I fried something with a scope probe although everything else works. Since a new Max10 Kit is $200 and a Ethernet Blaster is $450, I guess I'll try a new kit first.  

I've noticed the download is much faster on one of the USB ports directly connected to the motherboard as opposed to a USB hub (even with nothing else on the hub). I had thought the Ethernet Blaster might not have that problem. You say it's not appropriate here; have you had bad experience with it?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, ethernet Blaster is working well, although the address setup can be a bit tricky if the DHCP server doesn't support host name resolution. I meant that it's really good for remote debugging, but USB Blaster or USB Blaster II are less expensive and easier to handle.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Terasic Blaster (a USB Blaster equivalent) is a much more cost effective deal for the budget conscious ($50) than are the Altera equivalent devices ($225-$300).

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately the Terasic Blaster (as well as classical Altera USB Blaster) conflicts with FTDI USB-to-serial bridge on recent Windows 7 and 10 OS, which is the problem originally discussed in this thread. Do you have a solution for it?