FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

EPCS128 device flashing with .jic file not working

NShin3
Beginner

I have DE1-soc board, rev F.

Earlier I downloaded a .jic file in EPCS128 device. After I finished programming the device, I couldn't connect DE1-soc board to Quartus prime SW again.

Quartus programmer tool cant detect DE1-soc board. I think the earlier code messed up something and FPGA is booting with that wrong code. now im blocked out of EPCS128 device.

Cant access it, cant erase, cant write new .jic file.

( MSEL [4:0] = 5'b10010 ) 

Any solution ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Niranjan,

This is not possible. As long as you are able to power on the board, you will be able to detect the devices with Quartus Programmer Tool. Can you try to change all the switches to default position and reprogram an appropriate bitstream into it?

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
NShin3
Beginner

Hi SooYL,

Quartus programmer can detect DE1-SOC board only when MSEL = 00000 and 01010. It is not detecting the board when MSEL = 10010.

I think the .jic file I downloaded in EPCS earlier (MSEL = 10010 ) has wrong pin connections. That's why tool is not detecting the board through JTAG.

I ran test.bat file from CD_ROM folder in support package. Alos tried to erase/overwrite default DE1_SoC_Default.jic file through MSEL = 00000 and 01010.

But the process failed halfways.

Error (209025) : A device’s Silicon ID is different from its JTAG ID…EPCS128 device error.jpgEPCS128 device error2.jpg

Thank you for suggestion.

Regards,

Niranjan

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Niranjan,

May i know are you using USB Blaster II for programming? If it so, can you change the TCK frequency to 6MHz and try to program again?

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
NShin3
Beginner

HI SooYL,

I am glad to tell you that I solved this problem.

I am using USB Blaster II and JTAG.

Earlier JTAG was not working properly because of the PINs assigned in the .jic file code.

As FPGA boots from the .jic code in EPCS128 device, that code was blocking USB Blaster operation.

I tried to connect the board to PC through USB Blaster very quickly at the boot time of FPGA.

I captured a time interval in which Quartus could detect EPCS device. Here I made connection of EPCS and Quartus programmer over USB Blaster.

Then I flashed EPCS device with default.jic.

Everything is fine now.

Thanks for suggestion, though.

0 Kudos