FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 2.

ABoni12
Novice

I am trying to program a .jic into de DE10-Nano board (5CSEBA6U23I7). I am following the exact steps on the DE10-Nano User Manual, Chapte 8 "Programming the EPCS device". I am using the original USB and power supply cables. I am trying to program the converted .jic file to the EPCS128 on the FPGA. The MSEL is on "10010" as the manual indicates. Even after all that, I keep getting the same error.

Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 2. A device's silicon ID is different from its JTAG ID. Verify that all cables are securely connected, select a different device, or check the power on the target system. Make sure the device pins are connected and configured correctly.

Error (209012): Operation failed

The progress bar in the Programmer fails at 43%. I´ve read similar topics and found about the TCK frequency of the JTAG on the USB Blaster II documentation. I´ve tried changing the TCK frequency but I only get as far as 74% with a value of 1MHz. I´ve tried with a lower values, but it seems it doesn´t seem to have any logical sense:

with 7MHz = 69%

with 6Mhz = 60%

with 800kHz = 53%

I thought it had something to do with the circuit itself but I am doing the tests with a very basic circuit, an AND gate with two inputs and its output. I can load the .sof file successfully, so there´s no problem with that. No matter what I do the error is the same. I really hope you can help me, as I have followed the manual closely and there should be no problem at all. Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Aldo,

It might be due to several reason.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/current/index.htm#msgs/msgs/epgme_device_siid_error.htm

Can you remove the Cyclone V HPS in the programmer and try to program again?

THank You.

0 Kudos
ABoni12
Novice

If I remove the HPS from the chain in the Programmer the progress bar fails inmmediately at 0%, giving me this error:

Error (209031): Device chain in Chain Description File does not match physical device chain -- expected 1 device(s) but found 2 device(s).

Anyway, I solved it, converting my .sof file selecting the serial device as EPCS64 (opposed to the EPCS128, as the manual said). That way I programmed it without probem. And all of it because the user manual had an error, yikes. Anyway, thanks!

YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Sir, so you are saying that you are converting sof to JIC by selecting EPCS64 but in hardware, you are using EPCS128?

0 Kudos
ABoni12
Novice

Yes, I´am selecting the EPCS64 as the serial configuration device. It seems that it is the hardware too, I used to think that it was the EPCS128 (as the manual said) but upon further reading I found in different sites that in later revisions, they changed it, from EPCS128 to EPCS64.

In the PDF manual there is a Chapter 9. Appendix section, but the 1.7 "Change EPCS128 to EPCS64" revision is not.{ñ.JPG

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I am glad that the problem is already solved? Is there any other help needed? If not, i will close this thread.

0 Kudos
ABoni12
Novice

Yes, I consider it solved after reading the new revision appendix. I hope this thread helps someone in the future. You may close the thread. Thank you.