FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Error: Can't access JTAG chain Error: Operation failed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, 

i have a custom board, with stratix II, and Cyclone II, 

till today i dont have any problem in downloading code, and debug with JTAG port, 

but today i got "Error: Can't access JTAG chain Error: Operation failed" , when i try to program, 

programmer is working with other boards, and all fine, 

only this 2 board, does anybody have solution, if i have to correct the board. and work for  

jtag 

regards 

baba
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi babaship 

Did you find a solution to this problem - I have the same problem. Boards that have worked for ages suddenly stop talking to the USB-Blaster. The boards seem to work otherwise but won't communicate via JTAG. 

Cheers 

batfink
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, that problem is due to board smt soldering is not done properly. so, it gone bad 

baba
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK thanks 

b
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Same problem here, but My board is Altera Cyclone EP1C12Q240C8. Any help appreciated..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Same problem here, but My board is Altera Cyclone EP1C12Q240C8. Any help appreciated.. 

--- Quote End ---  

i have the same problem with you. 

i have two board that can't access JTAG chain when i try to program it. 

what will be the problem?? 

my ics are ep1c12q240c8 and ep2c5q208cn.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also have the problem, my chip is EP2C8Q208, I use byteblasterII to download the program, when I use the AS mode, it can work. but when I choose the JTAG mode, it doesn't work now, several days ago it can work. I checked the circuit around the JTAG, there are no problems with the soldering. Is there anybody solve this problem? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The power supply connection to your board might not be proper configured. The connection which comes the voltage regulator (+5v G -5V) has to be connected in a proper manner. Check them out again.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The power supply connection to your board might not be proper configured. The connection which comes the voltage regulator (+5v G -5V) has to be connected in a proper manner. Check them out again. 

--- Quote End ---  

I checked this, I found the net TCK to ground is about 80 ohm, whereas other nets are all about 10k. The problem is similar with below: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6340&highlight=jtag
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

very helpful.Thank you all !

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@dbx12358, Did you solve the problem ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry,I haven't. But I am trying to figure out.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

@dbx12358, Did you solve the problem ? 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry,I haven't. But I am trying to figure out.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anybody solved this problem? I have a cyclone IV chip that was working fine for a week or so and today it stopped working with the JTAG chain. Boots fine from the existing program in the EPCS device. 

I have JTAG powered by 2.5 V which is correct for the cyclone chip. I look at TDI and the CLK pin and it is what you would expect- 2.5 V signals. I look at the TDO and it responds, but the output is only .5V. Obviously this is why it isn't working, but why is it so low? 

The programmer works on other boards that run on 3.3V. Did this chip blow out? what could cause this?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos