FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

FPGA Dev board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi all, 

are there any FPGA development boards with a socket for / or comes with a PIC microcontroller / or any microcontroller .  

I need it so that i dont have to worry about nios license issues . 

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

the Nios II/e doesn't require a license :)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

well when you make a SOC , quartus says the .pof file is time limited and also i just want to save resources inside the fpga and use custom logic to have more room .

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

what version of Quartus are you using? it may have been around 9.1 that Nios II/e became free 

your best bet will probably be a board with 0.1" pitch headers so you can connect some kind of microcontroller development kit
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

well actually this is what i wanted to avoid , if there is board out there with a strap down socket for a ic that would be good . or i wont use a netburner interface . But then again everything already stuffed on board is neat :cool: and also less headaches where signals are going.  

Or a board with two FPGA's and a ethernet port for one , so i would embbed nios processor in one . Sounds like i have to design it myself :(
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

If you don't want to design everything yourself, you could use a prototyping board such as this one (http://www.bitec-dsp.com/hsmc_proto.html) to connect your components to a FPGA on a standard development board.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

yeah seems like a nice solution for prototyping . 

thanks .