FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

FPGA Dev board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

are there any FPGA development boards with a socket for / or comes with a PIC microcontroller / or any microcontroller .  

I need it so that i dont have to worry about nios license issues . 

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the Nios II/e doesn't require a license :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well when you make a SOC , quartus says the .pof file is time limited and also i just want to save resources inside the fpga and use custom logic to have more room .

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what version of Quartus are you using? it may have been around 9.1 that Nios II/e became free 

your best bet will probably be a board with 0.1" pitch headers so you can connect some kind of microcontroller development kit
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well actually this is what i wanted to avoid , if there is board out there with a strap down socket for a ic that would be good . or i wont use a netburner interface . But then again everything already stuffed on board is neat :cool: and also less headaches where signals are going.  

Or a board with two FPGA's and a ethernet port for one , so i would embbed nios processor in one . Sounds like i have to design it myself :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you don't want to design everything yourself, you could use a prototyping board such as this one (http://www.bitec-dsp.com/hsmc_proto.html) to connect your components to a FPGA on a standard development board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yeah seems like a nice solution for prototyping . 

thanks .
0 Kudos