FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5890 Discussions

Fast & Large block data transfer over USB - DE1/DE2 ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I have a DE1 fpga module, which has a single USB port that seems to be dedicated to programming. Is it possible to use it to do fast, large block data transfers over the USB ? 

I see quite a bit of discussion here in a similar vein, but do not see anything conclusive. 

I see the USB is connected to an FTDI FT245BL - this should be capable of 1M Byte / Sec, using their D2XX Drivers. It is then connected to an Altera MAX chip. 

Previous fpga modules that I have used with FTDI chips have been able to use the USB port for both programming and for data transfer. 

Or am I better to junk the DE1 board and buy a DE2 which I see has a second USB port ? 

cheers, 

Beau
0 Kudos
54 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The USB-Blaster circuit is a FT245BM and a CPLD. 

The host communicates with the USB-Blaster via a protocol described here: 

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/urjtag/index.php?title=cable_altera_usb-blaster 

The parallel output data from the FT245BM FIFO is serialized by the CPLD to drive the JTAG pins on the attached FPGA. The highest performance mode will be when the packets are 'byte-mode' packets, where each byte from the host generates 8-bits of of JTAG TDI activity. 

I haven't got performance measurements yet, but the best data rate will be 1MB/s divided by 8, or about 1Mbps. 

Under Linux, using the FTD2XX direct access drivers, you can add the VID/PID of the USB-Blaster, and then access the device. The direct access API functions for adding a custom VID/PID do not exist under Windows, so I'm not sure what the solution is there (probably edit an .inf file). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ah, that is very helpful, thanks. 

I will have a careful read, and hope to report on how I get on. 

Yes I am sort of familiar with .inf editing, but may have to go to an XP machine - a Windows 7 (64bit) machine like my laptop will only install the certified drivers.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I will have a careful read, and hope to report on how I get on. 

--- Quote End ---  

Great! 

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes I am sort of familiar with .inf editing, but may have to go to an XP machine - a Windows 7 (64bit) machine like my laptop will only install the certified drivers. 

--- Quote End ---  

Huh? The FTDI drivers and DLL install fine under Windows. Its getting it to allow the DLL to access the USB-Blaster that I'm not sure how to do, given that the add VID/PID DLL call does not exist under Windows. 

A pretty simple solution is to use FT_PROG to capture the EEPROM settings from your USB-Blaster, and then erase the EEPROM. Then your USB-Blaster will appear as an FT245BM device, and you can access it using the DLLs directly (since the VID/PID will be FTDI). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Great! 

Huh? The FTDI drivers and DLL install fine under Windows. Its getting it to allow the DLL to access the USB-Blaster that I'm not sure how to do, given that the add VID/PID DLL call does not exist under Windows. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, that is sort of what I meant - yes the drivers and dll work great, but I can only load devices with different PIDs in XP, in Windows 7 I have to change the PIDS back to the standard value. 

But the ftdi dll seems to be able to access the usb blaster fine : 

ftlstndev 

ftgetdescriptions 

USB-Blaster 

ftopen 0 

FTDI USB device 0 opened, Handle : 40973760 

But now I am not sure what will happen to any data I write to the handle .... 

ftclose 40973760 

--- Quote Start ---  

A pretty simple solution is to use FT_PROG to capture the EEPROM settings from your USB-Blaster, and then erase the EEPROM. Then your USB-Blaster will appear as an FT245BM device, and you can access it using the DLLs directly (since the VID/PID will be FTDI). 

--- Quote End ---  

Scary, but that sounds good. I have had no problems using the EEPROM erase and write to-date. Do I then have just an 8-bit port in effect ? I will read up the info you pointed me to. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

But the ftdi dll seems to be able to access the usb blaster fine : 

ftlstndev 

ftgetdescriptions 

USB-Blaster 

ftopen 0 

FTDI USB device 0 opened, Handle : 40973760 

--- Quote End ---  

Great. I haven't tried accessing a USB-Blaster under windows. 

--- Quote Start ---  

But now I am not sure what will happen to any data I write to the handle  

--- Quote End ---  

Write some test code; 

a) Toggle TCK, while keeping all other bits high, so according to the protocol: 

0011_1111 b /* bit mode, don't read-back, OE + TDI + CS# + CE# + TCK high */ 

0011_1110 b /* drop TCK low */ 

So fill a write buffer with 3-bytes, i.e., 3Fh, 3Eh, 3Fh, and write it to the USB-Blaster. 

Probe the TCK pin and you will see a ~1us low pulse on TCK. 

Viola, you now have control of your USB-Blaster! 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for being so very precise, I can do that, but maybe not until tomorrow !

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks for being so very precise, I can do that, but maybe not until tomorrow ! 

--- Quote End ---  

If you're running Linux, then you can use Wireshark to monitor the USB-Blaster transactions.  

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used to have wireshark for windows - did not realise it worked on the usb as well - perhaps just what I need for a related I/O problem I am having doing the same on a Morphic II board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I used to have wireshark for windows - did not realise it worked on the usb as well - perhaps just what I need for a related I/O problem I am having doing the same on a Morphic II board. 

--- Quote End ---  

Wireshark only supports USB sniffing under Linux. 

I tried both the latest version of VMWare (workstation 7.1) and VirtualBox, and neither could capture the USB-Blaster to sniff from Linux in a VM. I installed Ubuntu 11.04 (Wubi - binary blob on the windows partition), and it works great. 

I was also doing some testing with a Morph-IC (the older ACEX 1K device). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Apart from being able to access the USB Blaster through ftd2xx.dll, how do you want connect to the FPGA on the DE1/DE2 side? 

Did you notice, that DE1 and DE2 implement a second set of software JTAG lines between the embedded USB-Blaster CPLD and the FPGA? The interface is used in the DEx_USB_API demonstration for data transfer from and to the Control Panel application. 

Alternatively, you have communication options based on the VJTAG channel, e.g. the JTAG UART.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could try using the JTAG Avalon Master component and driving it from SystemConsole. This gets transfer rates pretty close to the maximum raw JTAG rate (the latter is about 5Mb/s write only on Linux for large transfers, windows is I think about 3Mb/s. I don't have the exact figure for the Avalon write bandwidth on me I'm afraid).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I tried both the latest version of VMWare (workstation 7.1) and VirtualBox, and neither could capture the USB-Blaster to sniff from Linux in a VM. I installed Ubuntu 11.04 (Wubi - binary blob on the windows partition), and it works great. 

--- Quote End ---  

I stopped to update my copy of Cygwin, and so a web search, but could not see a version of Wireshark I could just try under Cygwin. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Apart from being able to access the USB Blaster through ftd2xx.dll, how do you want connect to the FPGA on the DE1/DE2 side? 

Did you notice, that DE1 and DE2 implement a second set of software JTAG lines between the embedded USB-Blaster CPLD and the FPGA? The interface is used in the DEx_USB_API demonstration for data transfer from and to the Control Panel application. 

Alternatively, you have communication options based on the VJTAG channel, e.g. the JTAG UART. 

--- Quote End ---  

This is where I am fairly ignorant - I have as yet never made use of JTAG or VJTAG .... 

I have been using an "8-bit port into block of registers" with a simple 4-byte address and read/write data protocol, via the FTDI chips, partly inherited from an early set of fpga modules, and partly extended by myself .... been using it for a number of years, for a range of fpga projects. 

I am trying to port this to the Morphic II - frustratingly is seems to sometimes work but mostly not, so I expect the state machine breaks when run faster. If we can build a bi-directional byte-stream vie the usb blaster to the FPGA, this could work on the DE1 as well ? This would be the first part of the project. The second would be to write a "block" transfer mode, to read the contents of a large block of memory. 

At this point I really need advice on how to build a 4 byte-stream interface from the PC to the DE1, ideally as fast as possible. Then I can immediately run quite a bit of code.  

Writing is : Write 4 bytes 

Reading is : Write 3 bytes (or 4), Read 1 byte. 

Not very efficient, but very flexible.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You could try using the JTAG Avalon Master component and driving it from SystemConsole.  

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks - I am chasing up on JTAG, and on Avalon (which I have used). 

The computer end I want to be my own programs (written in Apl). 

AplX from MicroApl talks to the FTDI DLL fine, I use it to control my NMR spectrometer, which has a number of FTDI interfaced fpgas built into it now. It was AplX I used for those quick tests on the USB Blaster, a few pages ago.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm writing some detailed documents along with example code for; 

* custom VJTAG components 

* FTDI FIFO-to-Avalon-MM bridges 

* customized use of the USB-Blaster, eg. for VJTAG communications 

Be patient, and I'll post links soon. At the moment I'm writing TimeQuest analysis scripts for the designs. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm writing some detailed documents along with example code for; 

* custom VJTAG components 

* FTDI FIFO-to-Avalon-MM bridges 

* customized use of the USB-Blaster, eg. for VJTAG communications 

Be patient, and I'll post links soon. At the moment I'm writing TimeQuest analysis scripts for the designs. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

WoW ! Thanks !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Great. I haven't tried accessing a USB-Blaster under windows. 

Write some test code; 

a) Toggle TCK, while keeping all other bits high, so according to the protocol: 

0011_1111 b /* bit mode, don't read-back, OE + TDI + CS# + CE# + TCK high */ 

0011_1110 b /* drop TCK low */ 

So fill a write buffer with 3-bytes, i.e., 3Fh, 3Eh, 3Fh, and write it to the USB-Blaster. 

Probe the TCK pin and you will see a ~1us low pulse on TCK. 

Viola, you now have control of your USB-Blaster! 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

Well yes and no ..... 

I have for a USB Blaster JTAG connector connected to the JTAG connectore on Morphic II,  

being the easiest for me to test : 

Orientation : Pins 2, 10 : Gnd 

Pin 4 : Vcc 

Then the JTAG connectors are bought out to Morhic IO connectors : 

Morphic II 0.1" connectors Altera USB Blaster (JTAG Mode) 

J3-23 JTAG_TDI JTAG Interface Pin 9 

J3-24 JTAG_TMS JTAG Interface Pin 5 

J4-23 JTAG_TDO JTAG Interface Pin 3 

J4-24 JTAG_TCK JTAG Interface Pin 1 

If Toggle Toggling  

Bit 0 TDI Pin 9, TMS Pin 5 

If I write the 3Fh, 3Eh, 3Fh to the USB Blaster (and then call a Tx purge) 

Or as decimal and binary : 

63 62 63 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

Then I have toggling : TDI Pin 9, TMS Pin 5,  

with TCK and TDO low. 

This is indeed a 1us low pulse. 

In fact it does not seem to matter which bit I toggle (other than the far left one), 

I get the same behaviour. 

Puzzled.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Perhaps you did not reset the JTAG TAP machine before starting your test. 

Take a look at this test code. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ah, thanks indeed, I will read it and try again tomorrow. 

cheers, 

Beau
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well I had a quick go .... 

The reset string is : 

jtag_reset 

63 62 63 62 63 62 63 62 63 62 63 129 255 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 

Yes ? 

I really wonder if this is suffering from the same problem as I am having with the Morphic II driving software.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Lets see ... 

--- Quote Start ---  

The reset string is : 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

--- Quote End ---  

This is the bit-mode TAP reset sequence; it starts but putting all JTAG signals high, and then toggles TCK 5 times. 

--- Quote Start ---  

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 

--- Quote End ---  

This is the 'alternative' method using byte-mode commands. The commands are; send a byte-mode command with 1-byte, followed by a byte of all 1's. This will toggle TCK 8 times. However, prior to this you need to set all the bits high, i.e., the correct sequence if using byte-mode is 

--- Quote Start ---  

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 

--- Quote End ---  

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos