FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Fifo interface DE1-SoC

MCoen
Beginner

Hi,

I'm currently designing a fifo interface between the HPS and the FPGA of the DE1-SoC. All the programming is done but I'm constantly getting the value 2097152 back in my HPS with the status of the fill levels 1023. 

I followed the tutorial on https://hackaday.io/project/21604-fifo-interface-between-arm-and-fpga-on-de1-soc. I've added some code and screenshots with the results.

ENTITY receiver IS PORT ( reset : IN std_logic; clk : IN std_logic; ready : OUT std_logic; board : out sudoku; hps_to_fpga_readdata : IN std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); hps_to_fpga_read : OUT std_logic; hps_to_fpga_out_csr_address : IN std_logic_vector(2 downto 0) := "001" ; -- fill_level hps_to_fpga_out_csr_readdata : IN std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); hps_to_fpga_out_csr_read : IN std_logic; -- status regs read cmd hps_to_fpga_out_csr_writedata : IN std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); fpga_to_hps_in_writedata : OUT std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); fpga_to_hps_in_write : OUT std_logic; -- write command fpga_to_hps_in_csr_address : IN std_logic_vector(2 downto 0) := "001"; -- fill_level fpga_to_hps_in_csr_readdata : IN std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); fpga_to_hps_in_csr_read : IN std_logic; -- status regs read cmd fpga_to_hps_in_csr_writedata : IN std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) ); END ENTITY receiver;   ARCHITECTURE behaviour OF receiver IS signal data_buffer : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); signal data_buffer_valid : std_logic;   BEGIN   PROCESS(clk, reset) variable state : integer := 0; variable state2 : integer := 0; BEGIN if reset = '0' then ready <= '0'; state := 0; state2 := 0;   elsif rising_edge(clk) then if (state = 0 and not(hps_to_fpga_out_csr_readdata(1) = '1') and not(data_buffer_valid = '1')) then hps_to_fpga_read <= '1' ; state := 1; end if; if (state = 1) then -- zero the read request BEFORE the data appears -- in the next state! hps_to_fpga_read <= '0' ; state := 2 ; end if; -- read the word from the FIFO if (state = 2) then data_buffer <= hps_to_fpga_readdata ; -- send back data data_buffer_valid <= '1' ; -- set the data ready flag hps_to_fpga_read <= '0' ; state := 0 ; --6 end if; -- ================================= -- FPGA_to_HPS state machine --================================== -- is there space in the -- FPGA_to_HPS FIFO -- and data is available if (state2=0 and not(fpga_to_hps_in_csr_readdata(0) = '1') and data_buffer_valid = '1') then fpga_to_hps_in_writedata <= data_buffer ; fpga_to_hps_in_write <= '1' ; state2 := 1 ; end if; -- finish the write to FPGA_to_HPS FIFO --if (HPS_to_FPGA_state == 8'd8) begin if state=1 then fpga_to_hps_in_write <= '0' ; data_buffer_valid <= '0' ; -- used the data, so clear flag state2 := 0 ; end if; end if; end process;   END behaviour;

Anyone with some more knowledge who can help me?

Thanks in advance

Maikelqsys.PNG

HPS_output.PNG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Currently I am reviewing the forum for any open questions and found this thread. I apologize that no one seems to answer this question that you posted. Since it has been a while you posted this question, I'm wondering if you have found the answer? If not, please let me know, I will try to assign/find someone to assist you. Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

MuhammadAr_U_Intel

Hi @MCoen​ 

I am looking at this case, may I know if the FIFO is reset the beginning ?

Did you monitor the FIFO signal and your FSM signals in signltap ?

Here is another forum thread on rocket board discussing about read/ wrtie to on chip fifo from HPS, see if this help to answer your question.

https://forum.rocketboards.org/t/how-to-read-and-write-an-on-chip-fifo-from-hps-arm/849

Thanks,

Arslan