FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Flash programming "Auto Detect" failure

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am using the cyclone iii ep3c120 development kit. i can successfully program my .sof into the fpga directly via the usb blaster interface. 

i followed the instructions in the development kit user guide (appendix a) to create a .pof file, and then to program the flash. at step 9 - "click auto detect" - no flash device is detected. 

i should note that the very first time i tried to implement the design into flash, everything worked perfectly. now that i have updated the design, it does not. 

can anyone suggest why this is the case?  

thanks. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The user guide doesn't talk about programming your file, but the supplied example design. If your design doesn't include a PFL instance, no flash can be auto-detected. You are still able to attach the flash manually, but you need a PFL instance in the FPGA design to perform the flash programming.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I recall, one of the pre-programed(factory default) design in Flash does have PFL in it. I thought it was page 1 or 2... 

Or as Fvm mentioned, easiest way is just build PFL only design by yourself. 

Just instantiate PFL from Megacore, and hook up Flash pins to PFL.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Or even more simple, load ready-to-use pfl_ep3c120.sof from quartus\common\devinfo\programmer folder.

0 Kudos