FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

Flash two or three user firmware into the flash for Stratix II EP2S60 DSP Board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, all 

I'm using Stratix II EP2S60 DSP Development Board for my project. The reference manual tells me that it can store three user's firmware in the flash for bootload controller by the Board Setting Switch. I know how to program one firmware into the flash. Now, I want to program two or three firmwares into the flash; however, I don't find any information about the offset address where the three firmwares locate. Have anyone have such experience? Could you please give me some ideas? Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you use the NIOS-II IDE to program your flash device, there is an option to let you program an extra file into your flash. After you tick this option, you can select your file to be programmed, flash device and the offset. This is the simplest way. Otherwise, I think that you have to write or re-write your own Linux shell scripts to do that.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I'm using Nios II IDE to program the flash. I know there is an option to let the bitstream file locate into different area of the flash. But I'm not clear about the flash address arrangement for the 4 sections which save the according bitstrem. Anyone knows about the relevant information?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The .flash files that you are programming into your flash device are in s-record format. You can find any info such as location and offset from those .flash files.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think that the offset information in .flash file is determined by the user's configuration when programming the bitstream file into flash. But I just have no idea about where to offset the multiple bitstream files. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"I think that the offset information in .flash file is determined by the user's configuration when programming the bitstream file into flash." 

YES and NO. 

Some pieces of code have to be programmed into certain locations in your flash device, such as the boot loader. Their addresses are specified in the sopc builder. However, you can place other pieces of code anywhere else as long as they run the way you want. They depend on your application and how you want them to run.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks! I've solved the problem by assigning different offset addresses for different firmwares.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks! I've solved the problem by assigning different offset addresses for different firmwares. 

--- Quote End ---  

Euniceliu, 

What are the offset address for this kit? 

Thanks, 

Nick
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Euniceliu, 

What are the offset address for this kit? 

Thanks, 

Nick 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, Nick, 

You can find "custom" and "factory" options in Nios II IDE. It'll will lead to two different firmware located in the flash. Hope it's not too late and it's a little helpful! 

Best, 

Eunice
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, 

I guess I should have looked there, but we don't use Nios and didn't expect Nios to know about this kit. I'm using an external CPU, a Coldfire, running RTEMS, and this CPU acts as a master on the Avalon bus controlling various SOPC components, one being a CFI flash device. This allows me to remotely upload a new firmware for the FPGA. Altera support did provide the address for the flash locations, they are: 

0x0020.0000 Factory 

0x0050.0000 User0 

0x0080.0000 User1 

0x00A0.0000 User2 

I'm able to upload to User0 now, remotely power cycle the kit and FPGA is loaded with the new firmware. 

Thanks again, 

Nick
0 Kudos