FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Helio Vs Altera Soc Vs Arrow kit for Cyclone V evaluation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I need to work with cyclone v soc for evaluating its multi-core performance. 

I am planning to buy an Evaluation kit.  

Based on resources and support available which one would help me jump start? 

1) Macnica - Helio Board 

2) Arrow - SoCKIT 

3) Altera - Cyclone V SoC Development Kit  

Pls share your views  

Lnk
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I went with the SoCKIT. It was cheaper than the Altera board which had stuff on it I don't need. There is more support for SoCKit than the Helio, but not as much as the Altera board. I might have chosen the new DE1-SoC board if it was available when I purchased the SoCKit.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the response.  

I got the Helio board due to immediate availability with our local vendor. As you pointed, there are more resources for Altera board than Helio board. 

I am facing portability issues with Altera board's sample projects when used for Helio board.  

I understand the Preloader (Hardware config + pin out, GPIO numbers etc) changes.  

In general, what else do I need to consider when using sample projects between different boards. 

Regards 

LnK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know of a listing of the differences between the various dev boards out there. In general, if you are porting an example to a different dev board, you need to make sure the I/O is compatible. For example that voltage levels match, outputs on the FPGA aren't connected to outputs on the board, etc. I'd start by comparing each line in the example project's I/O constraints file with the schematic of your board.

0 Kudos