FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5232 Discussions

Helio Vs Altera Soc Vs Arrow kit for Cyclone V evaluation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I need to work with cyclone v soc for evaluating its multi-core performance. 

I am planning to buy an Evaluation kit.  

Based on resources and support available which one would help me jump start? 

1) Macnica - Helio Board 

2) Arrow - SoCKIT 

3) Altera - Cyclone V SoC Development Kit  

Pls share your views  

Lnk
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I went with the SoCKIT. It was cheaper than the Altera board which had stuff on it I don't need. There is more support for SoCKit than the Helio, but not as much as the Altera board. I might have chosen the new DE1-SoC board if it was available when I purchased the SoCKit.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the response.  

I got the Helio board due to immediate availability with our local vendor. As you pointed, there are more resources for Altera board than Helio board. 

I am facing portability issues with Altera board's sample projects when used for Helio board.  

I understand the Preloader (Hardware config + pin out, GPIO numbers etc) changes.  

In general, what else do I need to consider when using sample projects between different boards. 

Regards 

LnK
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know of a listing of the differences between the various dev boards out there. In general, if you are porting an example to a different dev board, you need to make sure the I/O is compatible. For example that voltage levels match, outputs on the FPGA aren't connected to outputs on the board, etc. I'd start by comparing each line in the example project's I/O constraints file with the schematic of your board.