FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

Help with DE1 and external memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm having some trouble getting the NIOS processor to work with external memory on the DE1 board. I've tried following a few different tutorials - most recently this one ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/11.0/tutorials/vhdl/de1/using_the_sdram.pdf 

but with no luck. Everything compiles fine, etc... but when I try to run it the NIOS SBT gives the error message "Download ELF Process failed", if I do this through the command line it says that verification failed between address 0x800000 and 0x8028A7, which is the bottom of the SDRAM. 

For the connections I'm using a block-design file in quartus with the pin names coming from the DE1.qsf assignment file included, and I've modified that to match the block that SPOC builder gives, which gives 

set_location_assignment PIN_W4 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_W5 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_Y3 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_Y4 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_R6 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_R5 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_P6 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_P5 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_P3 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_N4 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_W3 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_N6 -to DRAM_ADDR set_location_assignment PIN_U3 -to DRAM_BA set_location_assignment PIN_V4 -to DRAM_BA set_location_assignment PIN_T3 -to DRAM_CAS_N set_location_assignment PIN_N3 -to DRAM_CKE set_location_assignment PIN_U4 -to DRAM_CLK set_location_assignment PIN_T6 -to DRAM_CS_N set_location_assignment PIN_U1 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_U2 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_V1 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_V2 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_W1 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_W2 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_Y1 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_Y2 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_N1 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_N2 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_P1 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_P2 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_R1 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_R2 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_T1 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_T2 -to DRAM_DQ set_location_assignment PIN_R7 -to DRAM_DQM set_location_assignment PIN_M5 -to DRAM_DQM set_location_assignment PIN_T5 -to DRAM_RAS_N set_location_assignment PIN_R8 -to DRAM_WE_N 

I've been banging my head against this for over a week now and still can't get any nios processor onto the board and running with any amount of any of the external memories. 

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? 

Many Thanks, 

Ben
0 Kudos
0 Replies