Here are several platforms that I suggest for you to gain knowledge about the memory controller. Hope this is helpful for you.
1. EMIF Handbook:
- The External Memory Interface Handbook provide all the information you need (includes DDR3 and DDR4 ) to create a memory interface.
- Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/literature/lit-external-memory-interfac...
2. EMIF Support Center Website:
- Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/support-centers/exter...
3. EMIF User Guide ( Arria 10):
- Guideline on the design flow ( which include DDR3 and DDR4 protocol)
- Link: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-20115.pdf
Regarding the probing system, can you help to clarify more on which probing are you referring? Are you referring to on board probing or FPGA internal probing?
If it is FPGA internal probing, you can use SignalTap Analyzer to probe on Avalon MM bus transaction. If no then please help to elaborate more so that I can understand your inquiry better.