FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

How could customer compile the network driver on the Yocto OS?

MLei01
Beginner

Our customer used the Yocto OS on the DE2i-150 board (which equips with  Intel® Atom™ Dual Core Processor N2600 CPU), and she wanted to load the network driver on the Yocto OS, how when she comipled the driver, it reported the error that "kernel header files not in any of the expected locations", how should she solve this problem ? Is there any suggestion?

企业微信截图_15752719474826.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MLei01, 

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community. 

To better assist you, we will move this thread to the correct forum.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MLei01
Beginner

Dear Wanner G,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you tell me what is the correct forum I should ask this question?

Thank you very much.

Mandy

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

Usually we compile the custom linux drivers on the host machine (the development machine) not on the board itself.

Lets say you finished the linux compilation, then you can compile your module using the linux headers (the one that you are using in your project).

If this is a driver from the kernel, then it should be part of kernel compilation to compile the module.

Please let me know which approach are you referring to, so I can help you.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MLei01
Beginner

Dear FJumaah,

Thank you for your reply.

Our customers use the Yocto OS (provided by Intel) on the DE2i-150 board, and it seems there is network driver source code for CPU in the OS. The DE2i-150 equips with an Intel Atom Dual Core N2600 CPU, so it is possible to compile the driver on the CPU of DE2i-150 board, is it right?

Now customer wants to compile the network driver by using the source code in the Yocto OS, however, it reported the error that "kernel header files not in any of the expected locations", please see the picture. Do you have any suggestion for solving this problem?

Mandy

企业微信截图_15752719474826.png企业微信截图_15752719613221.png

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

While you build your kernel, you can enable the ethernet driver from menuconfig.

Lets say you want to use Linux Kernel v 5.0, once you have the kernel files already, you can use this command after setting the arch and cross compiler

make menuconfig

it will open the kernel configuration menu, you can go to device drivers and tweak the drivers needed. Terasic will help better in defining the needed driver for this.

if you want to compile a custom driver, you need to do this on the development linux machine, not the board it self, since this will take ages to finish if it is on board.

Thanks

0 Kudos