FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

How do I get started?

JPott5
Novice

I have a MAX10 10M08 Eva board and a USB Blaster programming device. I have installed Quartus II and written a short verilog test program but cannot detect the USB Blaster or the Evaluation board. Where are the helpful getting started guides and tutorials for Max 10?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Please check the below details,

1. Ensure correct device part number available on Evaluation kit & selected in Quartus tool both are same.
  2. Ensure the installation of USB-blaster device drivers
  3. Ensure the factory default switch and jumper settings

Refer the 'Chapter 2 &3' from below User guide,

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_max10_eval_10m80.pdf

For more details about MAX10 Evaluation kit refer the link below,

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-max-10-evaluation.html

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
JPott5
Novice

Hi Vicky, Thanks for your reply.

1.Ensure correct device part number available on Evaluation kit & selected in Quartus tool both are same. - Yes this is done I am using Quartus Prime Lite V18.1, I have created a new project using the LED_Flash_all template which specifies the correct device part number 10M08SAE144C8GES.

2. Ensure the installation of USB-blaster device drivers -The device driver appears in the Device Manager as Altera USB Blaster - working OK

3. Ensure the factory default switch and jumper settings - Confirmed OK.

When I open the programmer in Quartus the correct FPGA device is shown. However when I click on Hardware Setup and attempt to Add Hardware I am only able to select an EthernetBlaster. please see attached JPG file.

Does this mean that Quartus is not recognising the windows driver for the Altera USB Blaster or do I need to configure the tool to tell it to look for a USB blaster?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Could you please check 'Currently selected hardware' drop down menu for USB- Blaster as shown below?

provide 'device manager' screenshot to ensure USB- Blaster installed successfully.

Add Hardware._dropdn.jpg

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
JPott5
Novice

Hi,

Under the Currently selected hardware drop down menu USB-Blaster is not shown. unfortunately I cant take a screenshot showing that drop down open.

Attached you will find the screenshot of Device manager showing the USB-Blaster entry.

I have also gone through the troubleshooting suggestions in the, 'ug_usb_blstr Intel FPGA download cable user guide.pdf' document.

Here is the response to the jtagconfig --serverinfo command:

C:\altera\16.0\quartus\bin64>jtagconfig --serverinfo

Installed JTAG server is 'C:\altera\16.0\quartus\bin64\jtagserver.exe'

Service manager reports server is running

Server reports path: C:\altera\16.0\quartus\bin64\jtagserver.exe

Server reports version: Version 16.0.0 Build 211 04/27/2016 SJ Standard Edition

Remote clients are disabled (no password)

C:\altera\16.0\quartus\bin64>jtagconfig

No JTAG hardware available

Regards

John

0 Kudos
JPott5
Novice

Vicky,

I am also struggling to work out what support is available to me, for example when I try to access training courses such as The Quartus Software Interactive Tutorial I either get :

Resource at '/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/training/course/odsw1050.html' not found: No resource found

RequestURI=/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/training/course/odsw1050.html

Servlet= /apps/sling/servlet/errorhandler/404.jsp

ApacheSling/2.4 (jetty/9.2.17.v20160517, Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.8.0_162, Linux 4.4.21-69-default amd64)

OR The I get the attached response when I attempt to register for a course.

Its really blocking ability to move forward with evaluating the Max 10 for a new project.

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

As mentioned over there, please try opening the page in a new browser window(Like IE, Chrome,Mozilla etc) after clearing your browser cache and cookies. If still issue persists you can email or raise the ticket at provided details over there.

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
JPott5
Novice

Hi Vicky,

It looks like there was a problem with my USB Blaster, I have got hold of another one and it just works! Thanks for your help and patience.

Now I just need to work out how to define and use some LVDS inputs and outputs on the Max10 (any suggestions would be appreciated) and I will be away.

Thanks again

John

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi John,

Thanks for the details & cooperation. Glad to know that you could able to find out the root cause for USB blaster issue.

Regarding LVDS issue please open new thread so that it helps to track & better support for individual issues.

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
JPott5
Novice

This has been very helpful.

I would add that watching the "How to begin a Simple FPGA Design" video on YouTube is a very simple starter to create a project with Block schematic, creating schematic symbols from your HDL code and use of IP.

0 Kudos