FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5891 Discussions

How to add a stepper motor to NIOS II.

ABola2
Novice

Is there any Qsys IP can be used to include a stepper motor to NIOS? I need a generic IP can fit any motor.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your trust. The stepper motor uses the simple pulse width modulator PWM controller. So you can use the PIO to control it. There is no precised Qsys component named as a stepper motor IP, but you can create one compatible with the motor you have. I will share with you the steps required to create a custom Qsys component. If you feel need more support please let me know the part number of the motor you are using.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ABola2
Novice

Hi @AhmedH_Intel​ ,

Please help me to get the correct support. fast

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your trust. The stepper motor uses the simple pulse width modulator PWM controller. So you can use the PIO to control it. There is no precised Qsys component named as a stepper motor IP, but you can create one compatible with the motor you have. I will share with you the steps required to create a custom Qsys component. If you feel need more support please let me know the part number of the motor you are using.

Regards,

0 Kudos
ABola2
Novice

Hi,

I see that, so there is no Qsys IP for stepper motor? if not please show me how to create a custom one.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Amanda,

there are many of stepper motors and there is no Generic IP to fit them, I recommend you to create a PWM controller and create your own IP in Qsys if you want. you still can use it without a Qsys components and it is very simple by writing a verilog code to control the stepper from NIOS.

If you cannot do it yourself I can help you to get this design working.

Regards,

0 Kudos