FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

How to choose the voltage level of MSEL pins

xli32
Beginner

Hi,

I am a new learner of FPGA and designing a FPGA hardware using Cyclone 10 LP. If I want to load the .jic to EPCS16 using JTAG, is it needed to connete the MSEL[3..0] as 0010? The handbook suggests the MSEL pins should be connected to VCCA(2.5V) or GND, but the configuration voltage standard is 3.3/3.0. So are they(2.5V and 3.3V) all OK for MSEL pins?

My VCCIO is 3.3V and VCCA is 2.5V.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

​​Hi,

Currently I am reviewing the forum for any open questions and found this thread. I apologize that no one seems to answer this question that you posted. Since it has been a while you posted this question, I'm wondering if you have found the answer? If not, please let me know, I will try to assign/find someone to assist you. Please do expect some delay in response as most of our agents are out of office due to the year-end holidays. Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
xli32
Beginner

Thank you, but I am still not sure about this, I will be appreciated if you can answer this for me .

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi xli32,

I have checked, the MSEL pins are require to be hardwire the MSEL pins to VCCA (2.5V) or GND without pull-up or pull-down resistors. This has been clearly stated in the Cyclone 10 LP device handbook. Please do not be confuse between configuration voltage standard (for example 3.3V/3.0V) and the MSEL pin connection to VCCA.  The configuration voltage standard refers to the voltage level applied to the VCCIO supply of the bank in which the configuration pins reside in.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
xli32
Beginner
0 Kudos
oiglesia
Beginner

Hi Noraaini_Y_Intel,

I came across this old post and I actually have a related question. The configuration pins are split between 4 banks in the Cyclone 10 LP, namely banks 1, 5, 6 and 8.

What happens if different VCCIO voltages are applied to those banks? For example, let's say banks 5 and 6 are used for PCI (and are therefore supplied with VCCIO=3.0V), whereas the rest use the 3.3V-LVCMOS standard. Which configuration voltage standard should be chosen in that case, 3.0V or 3.3V? Or, in fact, all I/O banks containing configuration pins must use the same VCCIO level? I haven't been able to find any mention to such case in the documentation so far.

Thanks and have a great day

0 Kudos