FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5918 Discussions

How to load softare for dev. board demos

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How are existing NIOS II demo projects loaded into Eclipse for running in NIOS II hardware?  

I am familiar with steps to creating new Eclipse projects for Quartus systems, but am having trouble with pre-existing ones. Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should be able to open the 'workspace' directory for the existing project. This is typically the folder with the '.metadata' folder in it. 

Alternatively, open a new workspace and 'import an existing project' into workspace. Then point at the folder containing the example project (typically with a '_app' & '_hw_platform' folders in) and import them. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You should be able to open the 'workspace' directory for the existing project. This is typically the folder with the '.metadata' folder in it. 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, Alex, thanks. Yes, so i see a folder called software in NIOS designs. This is where the .metadata file is. I also see the main.c file and many others - i have tried opening main.c but do not think this is the way.  

--- Quote Start ---  

Alternatively, open a new workspace and 'import an existing project' into workspace. Then point at the folder containing the example project (typically with a '_app' & '_hw_platform' folders in) and import them. 

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Regarding 'workspace' and 'import an existing project' , here are you referring to the Eclipse application or Quartus II/Quatrus host application? Thanks,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You open a workspace in Eclipse, not Quartus. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, Alex. Here's what isn't clear yet - what are the steps to load software examples into Eclipse from a dev. boards?  

Is this the way?- Start a new workspace and make the directory the specific example's folder that contains main.c? - then load the main.c file into a 'hello world" and then build it? Sorry if this is documented or obvious, but it's not apparent to me, in my searching. 

I have tried making an example folder the workspace, and eclipse opens ready for work, but then how do i load the actual software example in? Perhaps i clicked the wrong folder? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try this: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/tt/tt_my_first_nios_sw.pdf 

To load existing software projects you will need to 'Import an existing project'. Point to the same point in the folder structure and tick the relevant folders that Eclipse picks up as project folders. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos