FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

How to send RAW Ethernet packets in Nichestack

rupa
Beginner

Hi

We want to create socket communication without using TCP/IP stack.  We are trying to send RAW Ethernet packets by making use of IPRAW.C file in BSP of  NIOS II Simple socket server program but we are unable to achieve our requirement.

So, Please share example programs how to send Raw Ethernet packets by using Nichestack API's .

Expecting response as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance

Regards

Rupa

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello rupa,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

First of all, we apologize for the delay in our response.

We are now done with the system upgrade and we are glad to continue assisting you.

Before we proceed, can you clarify if you are designing a system using Intel Ethernet chip?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
Nayana
Beginner

Hi Michel, 

Hope you are safe.

Rupa is from my team and I would like to give you more details on the task. We are using Max10 FPGA.

Our objective is to process the Raw ethernet data we receive from one PC and send it to another PC at ethernet layer. We have used an example from the following link.

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/17.1std.1/Standard/nios-ii-simple-socket-server-ethernet-example/  

But what we understand is this does not have details regarding Raw data.  

Please help us.

Regards,

Nayana

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

I am afraid that I have no much info that can help with your python script here.  What I suggest here is to capture the signaltap from the FPGA (e.g. the Avalon ST TX interface if you are using TSE IP) to understand what packet that it actually sending out, and detemine whether it meet your application requirment. 

Regards -SK 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Nayana,

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues and I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

I apologize that there is no much info regarding to the driver of the simple socket server example design, this design example is provided as is or as it, therefore, the support to modify the driver or change the design function for difference purpose will be very minimum.

There is another MAX 10 triple speed ethernet example design that not using the simple socket server driver, you may have a look to determine if this is useful for your use case where you can process the data by using your own logic (or RTL) and then transmit out.   

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/15.1.0/Standard/max-10-single-port-triple-speed-ethernet-and-on-board-phy-chip-design-example/

Regards -SK  

0 Kudos
Nayana
Beginner

Thank You SK!

I have FPGA beginners in the team.

We are confused between the Ethernet Generator mentioned in the code and Ethernal Ethernet Packet Generator mentioned in the datasheet of the example. Request you to help us out.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi Nayana,

You can refer to the Basic Frame format at the TSE IP user guide Figure 82.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf

What the packet generator in the example design will send is the Destination Address, Source Address, Length/Type, and Payload data.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

If further support is needed in this thread, please post a response within 15 days. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos