FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5918 Discussions

How to tell DS-5 which chip to connect to?

Dzar
New Contributor I

I have a board with two Cyclone V devices on it and both have dual ARM processors in them. When I connect to my JTAG chain with DS-5, it happily connects to one of them but how do I now which one? And how do I make it connect to the other one? I don't see any way to enumerate the chain (like Quartus does) and select the chip to use.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello Dzar,

Kindly note that this is not a standard support issue, since it is a rare case that 2 FPGA's on the same board with one JTAG connection.

May I know if you are using one USB blaster or 2 on board?

Furthermore, I would like to see the output of jtagconfig -n (you can run it in SoC EDS command shell).

usually from DS5, go to Debug configuration > Bare Metal Debug > Browse > and lets see how the JTAG chain view these FPGAs.

Once you select which FPGA, you can select which ARM you want. You cannot view 4 ARMs on the same time since one FPGA should be selected.

Thanks

RBrad
Novice

Thanks for the quick reply FJumaah,

We are using one USB-Blaster-II.

> jtagconfig -n

1) USB-BlasterII [1-7]

4BA00477  SOCVHPS

4BA00477  SOCVHPS

The screen in the Connection Browser is attached.

INtelSupport.png

It sounds like you were expecting to get a list of the JTAG chain's devices.

Dzar
New Contributor I

Removed private reply...

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

So from the snapshots above, jtagconfig -n can view 2 FPGA devices, while DS-5 is showing one only.

For the schematics of our Cyclone V SoC development kit, there is a DIP switch that should be set correctly in order to make devices available on chain. In your case, its only DS-5 which cannot see the second FPGA.

Have you tried booting HPS on both boards? We need to make sure both HPS devices are working.

In the mean time, I will check with our internal team if there is a known issue regarding this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RBrad
Novice

FJumaah,

This is not a development board, it is a custom board. There are no DIP's. ;)

It is also not two boards, it is one board with multiple SOC's.

Making sure both HPS's work is a good idea. I think we can configure the board to only have one SOC on the jtag chain at a time. I'll talk it over with our board guy and let you know the results.

Also note: We don't have a DSTREAM, just a USB-Blaster II. And this is a bare-metal system. We've not been able to boot our code yet due to other issues.

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee
Hello, Yes, this is clear, you are not using development kit. I am just sharing with you the possibilities that might cause to such case. And as mentioned, even this case would not fit in your issue since jtagconfig -n is showing two FPGA devices. One more question, are you using on chip usb blaster, or external one? I would also do configure the both FPGAs and check the chain again. Thanks Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
RBrad
Novice

Hi,

It is an external USB-Blaster II.

We can program Both FPGA's, but they are on a different chain. We have not yet tried to program the FPGA, then tried to connect to the Arms, if that is what you are suggesting.

Thanks.

0 Kudos