FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5227 Discussions

How to tell DS-5 which chip to connect to?

Dzar
New Contributor I

I have a board with two Cyclone V devices on it and both have dual ARM processors in them. When I connect to my JTAG chain with DS-5, it happily connects to one of them but how do I now which one? And how do I make it connect to the other one? I don't see any way to enumerate the chain (like Quartus does) and select the chip to use.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Fawaz_J_Intel
Employee

Hello Dzar,

Kindly note that this is not a standard support issue, since it is a rare case that 2 FPGA's on the same board with one JTAG connection.

May I know if you are using one USB blaster or 2 on board?

Furthermore, I would like to see the output of jtagconfig -n (you can run it in SoC EDS command shell).

usually from DS5, go to Debug configuration > Bare Metal Debug > Browse > and lets see how the JTAG chain view these FPGAs.

Once you select which FPGA, you can select which ARM you want. You cannot view 4 ARMs on the same time since one FPGA should be selected.

Thanks

RBrad
Novice

Thanks for the quick reply FJumaah,

We are using one USB-Blaster-II.

> jtagconfig -n

1) USB-BlasterII [1-7]

4BA00477  SOCVHPS

4BA00477  SOCVHPS

The screen in the Connection Browser is attached.

INtelSupport.png

It sounds like you were expecting to get a list of the JTAG chain's devices.

Dzar
New Contributor I

Removed private reply...

Fawaz_J_Intel
Employee

Hello,

So from the snapshots above, jtagconfig -n can view 2 FPGA devices, while DS-5 is showing one only.

For the schematics of our Cyclone V SoC development kit, there is a DIP switch that should be set correctly in order to make devices available on chain. In your case, its only DS-5 which cannot see the second FPGA.

Have you tried booting HPS on both boards? We need to make sure both HPS devices are working.

In the mean time, I will check with our internal team if there is a known issue regarding this.

Thanks

RBrad
Novice

FJumaah,

This is not a development board, it is a custom board. There are no DIP's. ;)

It is also not two boards, it is one board with multiple SOC's.

Making sure both HPS's work is a good idea. I think we can configure the board to only have one SOC on the jtag chain at a time. I'll talk it over with our board guy and let you know the results.

Also note: We don't have a DSTREAM, just a USB-Blaster II. And this is a bare-metal system. We've not been able to boot our code yet due to other issues.

Fawaz_J_Intel
Employee
Hello, Yes, this is clear, you are not using development kit. I am just sharing with you the possibilities that might cause to such case. And as mentioned, even this case would not fit in your issue since jtagconfig -n is showing two FPGA devices. One more question, are you using on chip usb blaster, or external one? I would also do configure the both FPGAs and check the chain again. Thanks Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
RBrad
Novice

Hi,

It is an external USB-Blaster II.

We can program Both FPGA's, but they are on a different chain. We have not yet tried to program the FPGA, then tried to connect to the Arms, if that is what you are suggesting.

Thanks.