FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

How to use Quartus Block editor Megafunctions

BillM256
New Contributor I

Hello,

I’m trying to figure out how to use the basic LPM Megafunctions (e.g., LPM_INV) available in the Quartus Block editor (…/quartus/libraries). I can create an instance in my schematic, but I’m unable to complete parameterization and get rid of the intrusive Parameter box (see attached image).

Questions:

1. How can I do this?
  2. More specifically, is it even possible to eliminate the Parameters box? (Inability to do so is a show-stopper.)

Many thanks,

Bill McDonald

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BillM256
New Contributor I

More:

My problem appears more fundamental. I looked at IP Catalog and traced some IP examples from the list back to their directory; it’s Megafunctions, i.e., exactly where I’m trying to access such as LPM_INV and other simple elements.

However, although LPM_INV is in the Megafunctions directory, it doesn’t show up in IP Catalog even when I filter for All Device Families. I verified its absence with search. Further, I can include LPM_INV in my schematic and get a successful compile.

I’m using a DE10-Nano with Cyclone V.

Any idea what’s going on?

Thanks,

Bill McDonald

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What version of Quartus are you using?  Many (if not all) of the LPMs were removed at some point, I believe.

BillM256
New Contributor I

From what you say, it appears they were removed from IP Catalog but left in the Megafunctons directory where I can still invoke them from Block Editor. However, I can't figure out how to parameterize them without the MegaWizard in IP Catalog. I read some Intel documentation on LPM_INV that recommended against using it and to use multiple primitive inverters instead. Can't figure this recommendation out as some of these basic LPMs would simplify my schematics considerably. 

Regardless, sounds like the LPMs I'd like to use have been deprecated, and I don't what to invest time in designs that don't work or won't in the future.

As always, many thanks for your help!

Bill

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi Bill,

You can refer to this document to see which LPM IP are still supported: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_lpm_alt_mfug.pdf

Since your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,
Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution!

BillM256
New Contributor I
0 Kudos