FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

I can't get my USB Blaster to be recognized by the Quartus Prime 18.1 Programmer.

WShep1
New Contributor II

I can't get my USB Blaster to be recognized by the Quartus Prime 18.1 Programmer. I have followed the installation Instructions and it still comes up with "No Hardware" when I run the programmer. My USB Blaster shows up under "Other devices" in Windows 10 Device Manager, but it doesn't show up in "Hardware Setup..." in the Quartus Prime Programmer 18.1. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Which dev kit are you trying to connect to? Does it have it's own USB Blaster on the board or are you using the USB to JTAG "pod" to connect to a JTAG header?

Try running the Quartus installer again to reinstall the USB Blaster drivers.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II
Thank you for your response to my question. I am using the Cyclone 10LP FPGA Evaluation Kit and it works via the MAX 10 USB Blaster on board. However, I want to use the JTAG Header to do NIOS Debug and Signal Tap operations for logistical reasons. I have tried every which way in all sorts of combinations to reinstall the USB Blaster Drivers more than 10 times. When the USB Blaster gets plugged in, it shows up in Device Manager under ‘Other devices” with the name “USB-Blaster”. When I try to “Update the Driver” as instructed by Intel/Altera in their USB Blaster Installation Guide, I get the following message from the Windows 10 Driver Update Box “Windows was unable to install your USB-Blaster”, “windows could not find drivers for your device”. I am lost. I have no idea how to get around this problem. Thanks for any guidance you might be able to provide me, Bill William Sheppard Electronic Design 8520 E Kael St Mesa, Arizona 85207 480-225-7731 wdsheppard@earthlink.net
0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

please perform the below things once again from link below,

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/nfa1418282998564.html

1. Installing the Intel FPGA Download Cable Driver on Windows
  2. Connecting the Intel FPGA Download Cable to the Board
  3. Setting up the Intel FPGA Download Cable Hardware in the Intel Quartus Prime Software
  4. After this, if issue still persists then provide these all details like Quartus Edition(lite/pro/std), Kit/board & importantly screenshot of device manager.
  5. If possible perform same experiment on different machine(Windows 10) with stand alone Quartus programmer( download it from below link, as shown in screenshot as per your requirement)

http://fpgasoftware.intel.com/18.1/?edition=lite&platform=windows&download_manager=dlm3&product=qprogrammer#tabs-4

programmer.JPG

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

Thank you for your response to my question. I am using the Cyclone 10LP FPGA Evaluation Kit and it works via the MAX 10 USB Blaster on board. However, I want to use the JTAG Header to do NIOS Debug and Signal Tap operations for logistical reasons. I have tried every which way in all sorts of combinations to reinstall the USB Blaster Drivers more than 10 times. When the USB Blaster gets plugged in, it shows up in Device Manager under ‘Other devices” with the name “USB-Blaster”. When I try to “Update the Driver” as instructed by Intel/Altera in their USB Blaster Installation Guide, I get the following message from the Windows 10 Driver Update Box “Windows was unable to install your USB-Blaster”, “windows could not find drivers for your device”. I am lost. I have no idea how to get around this problem. See below for the Update Drivers Message that I have gotten at least 10 times as I have tried to install the USB Blaster.

Thanks for any guidance you might be able to provide me,

Bill

William Sheppard Electronic Design

8520 E Kael St

Mesa, Arizona 85207

480-225-7731

wdsheppard@earthlink.net

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Any update about my previous post especially step 4 & 5 ?

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II
Vicky, I solved the problem. The problem was there was a bogus W10? driver installed under the "Other" category in Device manager that would capture the USB Blaster as soon as it was plugged in a prohibit it from having its driver updated. Trying to uninstall this driver did no good as it was there again when the USB Blaster was subsequently plugged in. I was able to get rid of this bogus driver by the following; 1) unplugg the blaster, 2) click on the "Other" Category, 3) click on the Device Manager's menu "View", 4) click on "show hidden devices", 5) then the bogus driver showed up as a hidden driver and I was able to uninstall it. Then the next time that I plugged in the blaster, I was able to update its driver as described in the Intel USB Blaster Installation Guide. I hope this helps someone else. Thanks for your assistance, Bill William Sheppard Electronic Design 8520 E Kael St Mesa, Arizona 85207 480-225-7731 wdsheppard@earthlink.net
0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

I solved the problem. The problem was there was a bogus W10? driver installed under the "Other" category in Device manager that would capture the USB Blaster as soon as it was plugged in a prohibit it from having its driver updated. Trying to uninstall this driver did no good as it was there again when the USB Blaster was subsequently plugged in. I was able to get rid of this bogus driver by the following; 1) unplugg the blaster, 2) click on the "Other" Category, 3) click on the Device Manager's menu "View", 4) click on "show hidden devices", 5) then the bogus driver showed up as a hidden driver and I was able to uninstall it. Then the next time that I plugged in the blaster, I was able to update its driver as described in the Intel USB Blaster Installation Guide. I hope this helps someone else.

WShep1
New Contributor II

I consider this case closed