FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5275 Discussions

I have a design with ARRIA 10 and I need to have the nIO_PULLUP to HIGH to turn off the weak pull-up before and during configuration. But I cannot ensure that all user I/O pins are at valid logic (0 or 1). What problem may I have?

AKarv
Beginner

Also I would like to ask if I can enable after configuration the internal weak pullups at specific input pins even if nIO_PULLUP is HIGH.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi AKarv,

I'm apologize for later reply to this thread.

The potential problem you may have is crowbar(short-circuit) current in the I/O input buffer.

When nIO_PULLUP=1 (HIGH), all user I/Os float before configuration. When user I/Os are floating before configuration, there is crowbar current at user I/Os buffer. Therefore, we need to set the user I/O externally known state (valid logic 1 or 0) to avoid internal crowbar current.

Also I would like to ask if I can enable after configuration the internal weak pullups at specific input pins even if nIO_PULLUP is HIGH.

Ans: No, you cannot enable after configuration the internal weak pullups if nIO_PULLUP is HIGH. You need set nIO_PULLUP to LOW is you need to enable internal weak pullup.

I hope this will help.

Thanks