FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

I2C Remote System Upgrade Example - No output on the Serial terminal

RVadl2
Novice

Hi,

I am trying out the below i2c example for RSU with Max 10 Evaluation kit

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/16.0.0/Standard/i2c-remote-system-update-example/

I am using the files in final_programming_files folder to try out the project. For the 10M50 board, I did all the steps that document mentioned in following sections and didnot get any error in this process.

"Programming Master Image into Max 10M50"

"Programming Slave Images 1 and 2 into CFM 1 and 2 on Max 10M50"

But, I am not able to see anything on the serial terminal as shown in the example. Also connected the config_sel pin to 0 by turning ON the SW2.2 at the board.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RVadl2
Novice

@lpkruger I have followed the example in the above link. Can you please help me with that. Although I program the files as described, I could not get any thing on the Serial terminal 

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

Have you tested with the method using Remote Terminal.exe which is to update MAX10 with UART? This is to check if the IP is instantiated properly.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an741.pdf#page=12

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
RVadl2
Novice

Hi, I have one more query. In the example below

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/16.0.0/Standard/i2c-remote-system-update-example/

IN Pg-19 the below statement is written

"Note that this section does not contain instructions for regenerating the programming files used for the UART section of this example (“pfl.sof”, “RSU.sof”, and “nios_firmware.pof”). These files are part of a separate project which can be found separately on the Altera Design Store."

Can you please point me to projects in Altera design store containing the above files 

0 Kudos
RVadl2
Novice

I have tested AN741 and was able to trigger the Remote system upgrade from UART. But my final system is something similar to the once explained in 

Where I need to update 10M16 using 10M50. So it would be grate if I could get the source files that generated the output files :“RSU.sof” and “nios_firmware.pof” mentioned in those examples

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
RVadl2
Novice

I cannot test that, as I do not have the EDS(Nios 2) license. I was trying out RSU using only the output files in the folder "final_programming_files".

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can find the design file in AN741. I believe you are working on it as I am supporting case 05123561.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
RVadl2
Novice

Hi,

I think AN741 and I2C example are different, as the I2C example has the I2C transfer of image to 10M08, which is not present in AN741 example.

So, I guess the design files will be different for I2C example. Can you point me those design files of I2C example.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sorry but I am confuse. So, are you looking for design file for RSU via I2C? Because it is in the RSU via I2C design example.

For this design example, please follow the instruction available in theory of operation for the initial configuration:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/uploads/9/9a/User_guide_151.pdf (Page 3)

0 Kudos
RVadl2
Novice

Hi,

Let me try to clear things. The RSU via I2C design file(i2c_master.c) is present in the design example folder. But this is different from nios_firmware.pof. And nios_firmware.pof is not the same as the one in AN741 also.

There should be a different design for RSU.sof and its  not I2C_RSU. The user guide says these are files from separate project on Altera Design Library

RVadl2_0-1625217326542.png

Hope I brought some clarity

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

After checking with my team, by looking back at your first post regarding not able to see anything on serial terminal, kindly try to check again the theory of operation starting on page 3 of the I2C RSU user guide.

Also, on page 16 of the I2C RSU user guide, please check again the USB to UART system setup. Make sure to select the correct COM port. This to ensure the device is correctly connected.

For serial port setting, try to play with the Baud Rate setting. You can try to change the Baud Rate.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
RVadl2
Novice

Hi.

Thanks for the suggestions. But I think there is no issue with UART and the Baud rate as I am able to run other codes and see the output on the Serial terminal. I think the issue is with the loading of nios_firmware.pof in to QSPI flash, because this never passes the verify step in the programmer. I really doubt whether the nios_firmware is loaded or not.

Regards,

Ravi Kanth V 

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I assume the issue with output terminal has been solve.

Also from your response,

• What do you meant by never passes verify step in the programmer?

• Do you see any error message? Please provide the screenshot.

Thank you.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
RVadl2
Novice

Hi,

Below are the screenshots for program of nios_firmware in to QSPI flash

prog.PNG

Verify of nios_firmware in to QSPI flash

veify.PNG

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshot. I can see that it was failed, but does it show any error message? Can you provide me the full screenshot?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
RVadl2
Novice

Hi,

I could not see any specific error message except the Failed message at right top corner.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Normally there will be error message, please check quartus interface under message tab. It is located at the below of quartus.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos