FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

IP for CAN

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anybody advice for that?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

On OpenCores website (http://www.opencores.org/) you find an open source IP core for CAN controller. 

Beware that CAN is a proprietary technology by Bosch and you should get a licence from them in order to integrate the core in your fpga for production. 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks you for your response. 

I am a newby so How can I add this IP in my system? 

Throgouth SOpcBuilder or how? 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Most of the cores on the Opencores website use a wishbone interface, so you'll have to write your own glue code to adapt them to the Avalon bus used in SOPC builder.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank for the advice already. 

So this is like the Interface between Wisbone and Avalon ? 

Do you have any advice or example for Glue code ? I have never did it before.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That CAN IP Opencore can also be configured for a standard 8 bit asynchronous memory interface; so you can possibly connect it to your system through the sopc tristate bus, if you don't have strong performance needs. 

Cris
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No ! 

tri states are only available for outside connectivity not inside the fpga between modules. 

a tristate is done by using an output buffer and controlling its output enable input.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

tri states are only available for outside connectivity not inside the fpga between modules. 

a tristate is done by using an output buffer and controlling its output enable input. 

--- Quote End ---  

I don't know how Quartus actually synthesizes the sopc tristate bus. I believe this is not a true tristate. 

If I connect it to another inside-fpga module it works perfectly. 

I've already done it successfully both with OpenCore CAN module and with other IP cores exposing an AMI. 

Cris
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I saw a wishbone<->avalon bridge example code on this website two weeks ago. 

I do not have a link right now. but if you search it you will find it.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

you can also find some informations about connecting Wishbone <-> Avalon on wiki! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/wishbone_%28computer_bus%29