FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5919 Discussions

Implementing a PCI Express interface for the Arria GX Development Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm a grad student using an Arria GX development kit to see if I can speed up short DNA sequence alignment to the human genome at the Genome Sciences Centre in Vancouver. 

I have a lot of experience with FPGA's before but I've never used the PCI Express bus before. 

I'd like to implement a simple PCIe interface. I'm using the PCI Express Compiler v7.2 and Quartus II v7.2. I've managed to successfully build and run the "chaining_dma" design supplied with the Arria GX development kit. I'm also familiar with the PCI-Express Compiler from reading the documentation. 

Does anybody know of any good tutorials that will walk me through the process? Preferably they would also include driver development. I am having trouble doing this from the documentation alone. 

Alternatively, does anyone know of any simple example designs I can adapt? Just something that will let me control the LEDs on the board over the PCI Express interface would be useful, I could adapt it for my application myself. 

Adam
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Adam, 

I am also looking for a very simple sample project to be a starting point for a PCIe project. Has anyone replied to your post? 

Thanks 

Ernie
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest you use the PCI Express Altera Core with Avalon MM Interface. Look at the AN532 (http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an532.pdf?gsa_pos=3&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=sopc%20pci%20express (http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an532.pdf?gsa_pos=3&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=sopc%20pci%20express)).  

It's interesting to use the Jungo Driver.  

With SOPC Builder + PCI Express Core + Avalon MM + Dma Controller or SGDMA + Jungo Driver is the fast way of build a good system with good performance.
0 Kudos