FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Importing already done proj into NiosII IDE

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good morning, 

as you know kits come with examples with done projects, i would try only to modify a little part of a software file but leaving all the remaing files/directories unchainged. 

For example I want to use: 

...\kits\cycloneIII_3c25_niosII\examples\application_selector 

inside \application_selector dir there is \software example and then \app and \bsp. 

Now, how can I set a new workspase into Nios2 IDE and import or set the environment so it can use the application_selector project? 

Thank you 

John
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Try this: In the NIOS II IDE, select Import -> Altera NIOS II -> Existing project into workspace -> Project Contents: You select the folder with the software files.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi jamie, 

thank you for your interest on my problem, I have already tried to do what you suggested but it doesn't work. 

I will try to explain in more ditail what I want to do... 

... excuse me for my poor english, maybe is due to this that I don't explain clearly what I would like to do!... : 

I have bought a neek ciii edition, I would try to work on an existing project coming with the board. 

I'm using QuartuII 9.1Sp2 & NiosII EDS 9.1 on Eclipse Platform 3.4.1, but the problem is not related on the SW versions, they all work perfectly! 

Like all of Altera kits, this one comes with a lot of demos and examples. 

I wish to try to modify, by now,  

--only a little bit of code inside one of the files coming with the board without recompiling and rebuilding all the projects part.-- 

suppose 4 ex. I want to modify the application_selector proj. (but this could be applicable also to the other examples file like "video" or "standard" or any other else) and in particular the file "webserver.h" where the are the lines concerning the dhcp properties. 

With a "el camino" license (I have got a time limited one) it is possible to modify, or not, the HW proj recompile and then goto NII IDE and then create a new SW proj. starting from the .sopcinfo created above. 

but what i wish to do by now is to leave the hw as is and use the given cycloneiii_3c25_niosii_application_selector_sopc .sopcinfo file, and rebuild only the sw part with the little bit of code modified, 

along with provided files: 

app 

C:\altera\80\kits\cycloneIII_3c25_niosII\examples\application_selector\software_examples\app\application_selector (here are the software files!) 

and: 

bsp 

C:\altera\80\kits\cycloneIII_3c25_niosII\examples\application_selector\software_examples\bsp\ucosii_application_selector (here are the Board support Packages!) 

On NiosII IDE 

I have tried to create a whole new directory (for safety and clearity) and I copied all the files into: 

C:\altera\N2TryToImport\application_selector 

I also created a new workspace

C:\altera\N2TryToImport\TTI_Workspace 

Then I tried to import in all the possible combinatios the provided dirs/files but I couldn't do. 

I know I have to set up correctly the workspace but i'm not able to do it! 

Can you please explain me wich are the correct steps to have a working IDE? 

Here I try to give a summary: 

Altera gives: 

hw project & HW files (.qpf; vhdl, bdf ecc...& sopc!); 

sw files in app & bsp DIRs; 

i want to leave as they are

hw project & HW files (.qpf; vhdl, bdf ecc...& sopc!),(don't want to recompile!!!); 

i want to leave as they are

sw files in bsp DIRs, (don't want to modify!!!) 

i want to modify: 

sw files in app , setup correctly Nios2 IDE Workspace use the appropriate BSP & rebuild the SW project. 

hope now to be clear! 

P.S.: 

Application selector is taken only for example, eventually I would be able to do the same kind of operations also with other projects! 

thank you very much for your attention 

John
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks . 

for posts
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is any body have idea of socket programming on de2 70

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

:(hhhhhhhhhhh

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using QuartuII 9.1Sp2 & NiosII EDS 9.1 on Eclipse Platform 3.4.1, but the problem is not related on the SW versions, they all work perfectly!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using QuartuII 9.1Sp2 & NiosII EDS 9.1 on Eclipse Platform 3.4.1, but the problem is not related on the SW version

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using QuartuII 9.1Sp2 & NiosII EDS 9.1 on Eclipse Platform 3.4.1, but the

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

mmmmmmmmmm

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Im trying to do it, to also create a new C/C++ application with all the files but the building process gives me several errors, have u contacted the Altera Tech Support?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Andreas, 

yes, I have contated altera's support, the problem could be the sw versions I'm using, I'm trying to update my examples files for QII & NII 9.1sp2 because the examples on the CD were done for v. 8.0 (on my CD). 

Maybe next week I can try to do something! 

thanks 

John
0 Kudos