FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Importing .csv files for DE1 pin assignments

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using the DE1_pin_assignments file for a design, and I used the board port names (SW[0], etc) in the design, but when I try to import the .cvs assignment file (Assignments - Import Assignments) I get this warning: 

Warning: Can't import assignments from Comma-Separated Value File Y:/118/Labs_F12/Lab4_Quartus_v2/DE1_pin_assignments.csv -- file does not contain at least 'Assignment Name' and 'Value' columns 

Warning: ,,,, 

and the pins are not assigned properly in the Assignments - Pin window. 

The .cvs file looks fine to me, and DOES have the "Assignment Name" and "Value" columns (along with "From", "To", and "Enabled" columns). 

Something I'm missing?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try the example design I posted in this thread: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35687 

de1_basic.zip contains a pin constraints Tcl file and top-level file. You can use it as the basis for any of your designs. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, I've been successful in creating and downloading a few designs, but I'm particularly interested in getting the pin assignment import working. I didn't see anything in the zip file that was helpful (not a sample .csv file for example)  

Appreciate your quick reply though.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I didn't see anything in the zip file that was helpful (not a sample .csv file for example) 

--- Quote End ---  

Please read the readme.txt file, and then look at scripts/synth.tcl. That file creates a project and synthesizes the example design. The scripts/synth.tcl script calls procedures in scripts/constraints.tcl. That file contains all of the pin constraints. 

At a minimum, if you use the same top-level pin names in your design, you can use the Quartus Tcl console and 

tcl> source scripts/constraints.tcl tcl> set_default_constraints  

Ask questions if you need clarification. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By the way, if you do not like the way I have used scripts, then you can create your own set of pin constraints from my basic design. Run the synthesis script to create the example design, and then use Quartus to export a Tcl script or .csv script for the pin assignments, eg., use Project->Generate Tcl File for Project. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the advice about exporting a .csv file from the project. Once I realized this was accomplished by using the File Export command with the Pin Planner open, rather than "Assignments - Export Assignments, I got the .csv file. It is formatted very differently than the one that came with the boards, so I should be able to figure it out from here. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you for the advice about exporting a .csv file from the project. Once I realized this was accomplished by using the File Export command with the Pin Planner open, rather than "Assignments - Export Assignments, I got the .csv file. It is formatted very differently than the one that came with the boards, so I should be able to figure it out from here. Thanks again. 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm glad you figured it out. 

Once you have your project working, come back and look at the scripts, you will find they are more convenient than using the GUI and importing .csv files when rebuilding projects in newer versions of Quartus. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos