FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5282 Discussions

Intel FPGA Arria 10 GX Dev kit - Gen3 card could not been detected while inserting PCIe extension cable adapter

HungLam
Beginner

Hi all,

In order to extend pcie connector from end point to host, I have used the extension cable adapter including ( host gen3 switch based adapter, ipass cable 3m and an endpoint adapter).

I bought them from OSS, here are the links products used:

https://www.onestopsystems.com/product/pcie-x8-gen3-dual-port-cable-adapter

https://www.onestopsystems.com/product/pcie-x8-gen3-embedded-cable-adapter

With above system setup, I am facing a problem that if FPGA bit file programmed to internal RAM and run from there, when host boots up, it could not detect FPGA card ( neither gen3, nor gen2/gen1), very few time host detected fpga card, not stable. Looks like there is a problem during link training btw host and endpoint device.

However it is working perfectly when insert fpga card directly to host system without extension adapter. ( With above set-up, it has only worked when FPGA bit file is programmed to ASx4 Flash, for testing purpose I just would like to programmed to fpga internal RAM only).

I have discussed with OSS technical team, it seems the problem with Arria 10 only.

With the same set-up, I have changed to Cyclone V GT dev kit, pcie x4 gen2, it works no matter whether FPGA bit-file in Flash or internal RAM.

Anyone has faced this problem earlier, please share your solution.

Thanks,

Lam

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Do you see the link-up problem if you program the FPGA first, and then perform a reboot of the host PC?

You may also need to capture the signals below to understand what is going on during the link training:

currentspeed[1..0]

ltssmstate[4..0]

lane_act[3..0]

Regards -SK

HungLam
Beginner

Thanks SengKokL,

I observed power/link leds from both host/target adapter cards, they were at the right states, nothing abnormal, but endpoint device could not been detected. I haven't probe the signals as you suggested, I have also planned for the next steps.

HungLam
Beginner

I have tried to start-up host system right after FPGA bit file programed completely ( when Quartus programmer in between 95% to 100%), since I thought of asynchronous issue. FPGA gen3 card could been detected some times, but not always.

SengKok_L_Intel

Thanks for the update.

SengKok_L_Intel

If further support is needed in this thread, please post a response within 15 days. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. If you have other questions, please open a new forum thread.