FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Intel Stratix 10 MX Development Kit - Board Test System Issues

Larsgrantz
Novice

Hello,

I have been having an issue with running the BoardTestSystem.exe. When run, I get the following error:

Error when scanning hardware - No devices! Please check your board connection!

I followed the instructions from the following links. I am attempting to follow section 5.2 of the dev kit user guide when this error occurs. The jtagconfig does detect two devices through the usb-blaster.

Intel Stratix 10 MX Development Kit User Guide

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/cbc1517362051825.html

Intel FPGA Download Cable User Guide: 

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr.pdf

Dev Kit Download:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-s10-mx.html

Some extra information.

Board Version: Intel Stratix 10 MX FPGA H-Tile (8 GB)

Board Part Number: DK-DEV-1SMX-H-A

Device Part Number: 1SM21BHU2F53E1VG

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Larsgrantz
Novice

Hi Deshi,

Thanks for you reply. I actually figured out the problem this morning. It was the USB-Blaster not working as intended. Once I switched to a USB Blaster 2, it started connecting properly.

There were some additional issues with using the BTS to program onto the board and the Quartus 19.1 and 20.2 auto-detect wasn't working properly. Once I got the device chain set up properly in Quartus through using auto detect, adding the BTS sof file to pull up the correct device, then deleting the first auto detect device, it working now and I can program to the board.

Thanks again for your help,

Lars

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

May I know which Quartus version that you are using ?

• Because board test system only works using the exact Quartus version as mentioned in the dev kit website

Another suggestion is to omit software test system and verify your dev kit using Quartus programmer to program your design sof file successful first.

• Ensure you are using all default jumper setting as per dev kit user manual doc
  • Lower down your JTAG frequency to either 16MHz or 6MHz

Then try program any S10 design sof file to check whether it works or not. If it failed then pls screenshot for me what's the failure message shown in Quartus programmer GUI.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Larsgrantz
Novice

Hi Deshi,

Thanks for you reply. I actually figured out the problem this morning. It was the USB-Blaster not working as intended. Once I switched to a USB Blaster 2, it started connecting properly.

There were some additional issues with using the BTS to program onto the board and the Quartus 19.1 and 20.2 auto-detect wasn't working properly. Once I got the device chain set up properly in Quartus through using auto detect, adding the BTS sof file to pull up the correct device, then deleting the first auto detect device, it working now and I can program to the board.

Thanks again for your help,

Lars

0 Kudos
Anands
Beginner

Hi all

When i tried to install "BoardTestSystem.exe" in windows 10... im getting an error "The application was "unable to start correctly(0x0000007b). Click OK to close the application"... in the other hand the programmer was able to find the JTAG.... could not able to install the BTS... any clue about this error.

thanks

Anand

0 Kudos