FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5921 Discussions

Is it possible to have more than one avalon ports on external memory interface IP (DDR3) of CYCLONE 10 GX ?

senjd
Novice

In ddr3 memory, I want to do write transaction from one port and from another port i want to read it. But i am not able to find controller settings where i can cofigure different avalon ports for my purpose.

Do i need to use ping pong controller? Or it is not possible to have different ports on ddr3 controller of cyclone 10 gx external memory interface ip?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You can connect multiple master interfaces to a single Avalon slave, either in Platform Designer or through manual instantiation. Or are you saying you want to simultaneously read and write? Only one master can have access to the slave at a time. I don't think there's an option for additional interfaces to do simultaneous reads and writes.

Ping pong PHY is when you want to access two separate external memory interfaces with a single set of pins. It's not what you are looking for.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Hi senjd,

The multi-port front end and its associated fabric interface provide up to six command ports, four read data ports and four write-data ports. Each port can be configured as read only or write only, or read and write ports may be combined to form bidirectional data ports. However, the multi-port front end (MPFE) are available only in the Arria V and Cyclone V device families.

As suggested by @sstrell​, you can connect multiple master to Avalon slave in Qsys to configure your purpose.

Thanks @sstrell​ for the reply.

Thanks

Regards,

NAli1

0 Kudos
Sushmita
Beginner

Hi NAli,

Can you please explain what you meant by "read and write ports may be combined to form bidirectional data ports."?

do you mean simultaneous read and write is not possible?

0 Kudos
NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Dear SBilg,

"read and write ports may be combined to form bidirectional data ports." means that you can perform the data transmission in both direction ( read and write) but not at a same time.

Yes, you are right on the 2nd statement. Simultaneous read and write operation is not possible.

Hope this clear.

Thanks

Regards,

NAli1

0 Kudos