FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Is the Intel N3000 FPGA PAC compatible with Supermicro SYS-2029GP-TR server.

daehyeok
Novice

TLDR: Is the Intel N3000 FPGA PAC compatible with Supermicro SYS-2029GP-TR server. If so, what kind of power connections does it expect from the server.

Power ports on the server:
According to the manual [2], the Supermicro SYS-2029GP-TR has 5 ports (JPW1-4) meant for GPUs and the server came with 8 pin to 8 pin connectors for these 5 ports (their pin layout is similar to EPS12V seen in [3]). The server also has 4 undocumented ports on the daughter board. 2 of these ports are similar to EPS12V and other 2 similar to traditional 8 pin PCIE/GPU power ports as also noted by [4]. The daughter board connects the power supply and motherboard.

Ports needed by the FPGA: From the docs [6], the Intel N3000 PAC requires a 12 V Auxiliary 2×3 power connector (6pin). I am not sure if this needs to be served via an EPS12V port (using a cable like [5]) or the PCIE power ports on the daughter board using a standard 8pin to 6 pin pcie power cable (e.g. [9]). We tried the PCIE power ports, the FPGA blinks 2 green and 2 yellow lights. The FPGA docs don't specify what this means. The closest behavior in the data sheet is 4 yellow blinking lights signalling power issues. The NIC does not show up in lspci when the server is booted.
We also tried using an adapter to convert the EPS12V (JPW5/6 on the motherboard) to 8 pin PCIE (as seen in [3]) and then using the standard PCIE cable (with the understanding that this setup would mimic cable [5]). The result was the same as before. We can buy the cable [5] from EPS12V to 6 pin PCIE and try it out but I don't expect results to be any different.

Potentially informative aside: We have previously used this NIC/FPGA board successfully on a Dell PowerEdge R720 using another cable [7]. For the cable, the 6 pin side is the same as PCIE 6pin [3] while the 8 pin side is shaped like EPS12V while pins are laid out like PCIE 8 pin. This I think is how the pins are present on the Dell server. This is based on the fact that the cable has yellow (12V) cables on the non-notch side [7] same as PCIE 8 pin layout in [3] while it naturally fits in an EPS12V port (Note, I haven't personally inspected the Dell server port/manual). If I am correct about the pin layout/shape of the Dell server 8 pin port by extrapolating from the cable, is there a name for this port?

Power on the server itself:
The server manual [2] also says:
Quote "
The main power connection on the X11DPG-SN must be connected to the power supply. The wiring is included with the power supply.
• 8-pin Processor Power (JPWR2)
Main ATX Power
The power supply modules plug directly into the X11DPG-SN, so there is no cable connection that needs to be made for main power. However you must also connect the 8-pin power connectors (JPW1 - JPW4) to your power supply (see below) to provide power to the GPUs.
GPU Power Headers
JPW3-JPW7 are the 8-pin 12V DC power output for the GPUs.
"
From the Main ATX power section, the JPW1/2 are already connected to the power supply. The JPW3/4 however are EPS12V ports as seen in Figure 1-2. (X11DPG-SN Motherboard Layout) of document [8], I thought these are for output to GPUs and not input from power supply. The next section about GPU power headers mentions these ports again as power supply to GPUs. Are these ports meant for supply from the mother board to supply to the motherboard from power supply? If these are meant to give power to the motherboard, which ports on the power supply should be connected to the JPW3/4 then?

[1] Xilinx Alveo U280 docs: https://www.xilinx.com/support/docu...ing-started-guide-alveo-accelerator-cards.pdf
[2] Supermicro SYS-2029GP-TR server manual: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/superserver/2U/MNL-2068.pdf
[3] EPS12V and PCIE pin layout: What are "sense" pins in 8-pin PCI Express power plug?
[4] Undocumented power ports: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/non-tesla-gpu-in-a-supermicro-2029gp-tr.26013/
[5] EPS12V to 6 pin PCIE cable: PROVANTAGE: Supermicro Cable-PWEX-1017 Supermicro Cabel Cable-Pwex-1017 6+2-Pin PCIE Power Connector 20CM Brown Box
[6] Intel N3000 FPGA PAC docs: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ds/ds-pac-n3000.pdf
[7] Dell 8pin to 6pin cable: Amazon.com: New for Dell Split GPU Power Adapter Cable 8Pin to 6Pin and 8Pin N08NH 9H6FV J30DG PowerEdge R720 R730 R7910 : Everything Else
[8] https://www.tmc-uk.com/fileuploader/download/download/?d=0&file=custom/upload/File-1521111686.pd...
[9] NeweggBusiness - Supermicro CBL-PWEX-0582 30cm 8-pin to two 6+2 Pin 12V GPU Power Cable

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wchiah
Employee

Hi Daehyeok,

There is a similar question asking by Anup_Agarwal. I believe there is a same server (please correct me if I am wrong)
We are in the progress of assisting him to solve the problem. you may refer below for detail

If you do not have any question, I will proceed to close this case after 3 days.

Regards,
WeiChuan_C_Intel

0 Kudos
daehyeok-kim
Novice

Thanks for your reply, WeiChuan!

Yes, this is the same question as the one posed by Anup. We just wanted to make sure if we posted the question to the right channel.

Thanks!

Daehyeok

0 Kudos