FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Issue following HPS SoC Boot Guide - Cyclone V SoC Development Kit (AN 709)

EChib
Beginner

I can't seem to boot my DE1-SoC board from the QSPI or FPGA. I'm having issues with the prebuilt files from the “HPS SoC Boot Guide” in AN 709. I was able to write to the QSPI flash so I don’t think the BSEL pins are the issue here. When I try to boot from the QSPI or FPGA sources I get a blank screen on the terminal.

However, I can boot up from an SD card thanks to the “DE1-SoC_Getting_Started_Guide.pdf”.

I think it might have to do with the preloaders since I could not get the bsp editor to work. For the FPGA boot I didn't use the preloader.ds file from the an 709. Instead, I tried to use a preloader hex file from a diffrent archive for the FPGA boot but I got warning 113015 and warning 127005 in quartus.

The board’s ID is 5CSEMA5F316N. Could you refer the proper files from the archives to to boot from the QSPI and FPGA for this specific board? Also listing any potential issues would be appreciated.

Edit:

To be more specific, my bsp editor can not use the option “File > New HPS BPS.” It is greyed out.

Screenshot:

HPS BSP is greyed out Capture.PNG

When trying to use the option “File > New NIOS II BPS.” I get the following error messages.

Text:

WARNING: Tcl script "bsp-set-defaults.tcl " error: get_section_slave_desc: no section mapping for section .text

SEVERE: Section ".text" has no memory region mapping.

SEVERE: Section ".rodata" has no memory region mapping.

SEVERE: Section ".rwdata" has no memory region mapping.

SEVERE: Section ".bss" has no memory region mapping.

SEVERE: Section ".heap" has no memory region mapping.

SEVERE: Section ".stack" has no memory region mapping.

These errors occur when I try to open the .sopcinfo file provided by AN 709.

Also, the premade .sof file from AN 709 is for a device with a different ID. The ID is 5CSXFC6D6F31C7 instead of 5CSEMA5F316N.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EChib
Beginner

I thinks it's relevant to show how the current BSP editor differs from the one in most tutorials.New NIOS II BSP Capture.PNGNew BSP (old editor) Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Rocketboards.org have very useful documents and guides regarding SoC FPGAs, for your case here is a guide that might help:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GSRDPreloader

It discussed the the procedure for the Cyclone V GHRD. (Golden Hardware Reference Design) more additional info you can learn from there too.

Regards.

0 Kudos