FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

JIC Programming Error - Silicon ID different from JTAG ID

RyanT
New Contributor I

Hi,

When I download JIC file to the EPCQL1024 on board Arria 10 GX development kit (DK-DEV-10AX115S-A), I get the silicon ID mismatch error.

Is this error referring to the Arria 10 ID or serial flash ID?

RyanT_0-1646733438869.png

In the programming file conversion, I have tried different devices "10AX115S2", "10AX115H1" and "10AX115H2" on the flash loader. They had the same programming error message.

The programmer is able to run up to 80% and stops when entering "serial flash loader programming" stage.

This is the JIC conversion configuration.

RyanT_3-1646734070058.png

Did I miss something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RyanT
New Contributor I

Hi @YuanLi_S_Intel ,

I've managed to resolve the serial flash programming issue. I missed to set the board switches (specifically MSEL) correctly.

The default board switch settings don't work because the MSEL setting (001) is specific for PS (Passive Serial) and FPP (Fast Passive Parallel) mode mainly for POF.

The Arria 10 GX serial flash programming could only use JIC file; and JIC conversion from SOF can only select AS (Active Serial) mode.

Hence, I have set MSEL[2..0] board switches for 011 or 010 to download my converted JIC file.

Quartus is able download my FPGA code properly, and I can also cold start the FPGA to run the code from serial flash to perform my FPGA operations.

RyanT_0-1648543952272.png

Generally, this issue is closed but I have a question on a little side effect I see.

With reference to the Quartus image in my first post at the top, there is "Factory default SFL image" automatically loaded when I "add flash device", add JIC file and check the "Program/Configure" box.

After successfully downloaded JIC file, the "Factory default SFL image" disappeared (refer to red arrow in image below).

Is there a direct way to add this SFL back?

RyanT_1-1648545714802.png

Currently, I have an indirect method by firstly changing serial flash device back to the same EPCQL1024, next reloading the same JIC file, and then checking "Program/Configure". This can reload the default SFL.

Is there a direct and quicker way?

Addressing my own topic query, silicon ID is expecting 0x21 which is the device ID of the serial flash, instead of FPGA JTAG ID.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683710/current/read-device-identification-operation.html

Best Regards

Ryan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Can you try to change the TCK frequency to 6MHz?

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Fixing to 6MHz and disabling the auto-adjust frequency feature didn't make it work. Still the same error.

In my test, after I select the JIC file for the serial and check the "Program/Configure" box, the Arria 10 will self populate the "Factory default SFL image" (see the images below). I think this factory SFL image is not having the matching Arria 10 JTAG ID (02E660DD) and hence caused the error.

Do you have the serial flash loader (SFL for JIC)  and parallel flash loader (PFL for POF) for Arria 10 (02E660DD)?

Where can I locate this SFL file and inspect the embedded ID? Or can you share the correct SFL file, such that I can change to it in the programmer?

I've already merged in the Arria 10 QDZ (matching version) into my current Quartus v20.1.

RyanT_0-1646968342492.png

RyanT_1-1646968560815.png

This would probably lead to another separate topic:

During the JIC file conversion, I've configured the FPGA device but the output is only a JIC and MAP file.

Is the SFL already embedded in the JIC and hence it self populate on the Arria 10 field when I check the "Program/Configure" box? But it shows "Factory default SFL image", rather than the device "10AX115S2" that I configured.

Or should the file conversion process generate a separate this SFL file?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Nope, SFL is no needed. The JTAG ID could be referring to the device selected in quartus design. Can you double check on it?

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

What do I need to double check?

JtagConfig shows 02E660DD.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Please select the correct device part number in quartus.

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Have done so as I wrote in the very first post.

If it is not correct, can you provide the lookup table?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

For a10 GX development kit, you can try this part number? 10AX115S2F45I1SG 

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

In the file conversion step, there are only a few 10AX115S2 options. How do I insert the specific version?

10AX115S2E2 and 10AX115S2ES options are unable to generate JIC files.

10AX115S2, 10AX115S2AA and 10AX115S2JW gave the same silicon ID error during Quartus Programmer download.

RyanT_0-1648032858051.png

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Why is this issue ticket closed when there are still open questions?

1) Is there a custom SFL specific for 10AX115S2F45I1SG such that I can load it in the Quartus Programmer mode, to replace the "Factory default SFL image" that will self pop up?

2) Where is the file location of this "Factory default SFL image"? How can I check the value hard coded in this file? Can I manually modify the silicon ID value in this SFL to match my JTAG ID?

3) If the silicon ID error is not related to SFL, then what is the silicon ID read value and how to configure it to match JTAG ID? Is there any detailed debug log?

4) If silicon ID is not in SFL, is it stored in the header bytes of JIC file?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Since you are using A10 GX development kit, please select 10AX115S2.

Also apologize that we don’t have custom SFL design as Quartus programmer will program the SFL design by default. You may try with a self-created design with SFL IP.

It seems like the setting is correct. Can you check if your board switches are in default position?

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Hi @YuanLi_S_Intel ,

I've managed to resolve the serial flash programming issue. I missed to set the board switches (specifically MSEL) correctly.

The default board switch settings don't work because the MSEL setting (001) is specific for PS (Passive Serial) and FPP (Fast Passive Parallel) mode mainly for POF.

The Arria 10 GX serial flash programming could only use JIC file; and JIC conversion from SOF can only select AS (Active Serial) mode.

Hence, I have set MSEL[2..0] board switches for 011 or 010 to download my converted JIC file.

Quartus is able download my FPGA code properly, and I can also cold start the FPGA to run the code from serial flash to perform my FPGA operations.

RyanT_0-1648543952272.png

Generally, this issue is closed but I have a question on a little side effect I see.

With reference to the Quartus image in my first post at the top, there is "Factory default SFL image" automatically loaded when I "add flash device", add JIC file and check the "Program/Configure" box.

After successfully downloaded JIC file, the "Factory default SFL image" disappeared (refer to red arrow in image below).

Is there a direct way to add this SFL back?

RyanT_1-1648545714802.png

Currently, I have an indirect method by firstly changing serial flash device back to the same EPCQL1024, next reloading the same JIC file, and then checking "Program/Configure". This can reload the default SFL.

Is there a direct and quicker way?

Addressing my own topic query, silicon ID is expecting 0x21 which is the device ID of the serial flash, instead of FPGA JTAG ID.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683710/current/read-device-identification-operation.html

Best Regards

Ryan

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

I am glad ur problem is solved now. The SFL image is first loaded to assist the downloading of image into the flash. So it is no needed once the actual image got downloaded. May i know what is the concern on it?

0 Kudos
RyanT
New Contributor I

Not a big concern actually.

0 Kudos