FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

JIC file format - after "Examine" operation , why is "Signal Tap" written?

Amir3
New Contributor I

Hello everyone,

In my system, from time to time some of the information in the Flash device goes wrong.

When I perform the "Examine" operation through the Programmer, I see that there is a difference between the original JIC and the extracted JIC from the Flash device, in the ASCII text section at the beginning of the files.

Note that Signal Tap Logic Analyzer was not enabled in this FW version.

what the meaning of this difference?

Original JIC file: "...Untitled..."

Amir3_0-1657782517017.png

Extracted JIC file: "...(V6AF7PBCE1LYS Signal Tap;)..."

Amir3_1-1657782627457.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Please notice that the .jic file header isn't read from the flash device rather than generated during programming file conversion respectively when storing the examined file. I don't know where the "Signaltap" text comes from, probably it has to do with the project loaded by Quartus at the time of examine operation. It doesn't tell anything about the .jic content.

Regards

Frank

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello Amir, 

From time to time the information of your flash device goes wrong, could you please elaborate more on that. 

Do the flash have issues during configuration? or when you try to program it?

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
Amir3
New Contributor I

We store the configuration file (SOF/JIC) in MT25QL256 flash device from start address 0x0.

The FPGA in Active serial mode. 

Every ~500 power cycles, the system does not wake up, and after we program the flash device and restart the system, it goes back to work. We understand that we have a memory problem but we don't understand why.

To analyze the problem, we extract the data from the flash device by "Examine" operation.

We are trying to understand why it is written in the text of the extract file "...(V6AF7PBCE1LYS Signal Tap;)..." and not "...Untitled...".

By the way, if we do "Examine" to the system when the problem doesn't appear, we read in the extract file "...Untitled...".

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Did you check the power rails to the flash device? or the signal integrity? if it can load/reload for 500 cycles, it should not caused by the flash contents.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Please notice that the .jic file header isn't read from the flash device rather than generated during programming file conversion respectively when storing the examined file. I don't know where the "Signaltap" text comes from, probably it has to do with the project loaded by Quartus at the time of examine operation. It doesn't tell anything about the .jic content.

Regards

Frank

Farabi
Employee

Hi Amir,

Could you please check the signal or power rails using oscilloscope?

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos