FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

LCD Panel Controller Info

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anyone know where I can find the control data sheet for LCM-S01602DSR/C (the LCD panel on my Arria 2 dev board). 

The lumex website seems to just give me the physical info (which isnt all that helpful!)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The 16x2 panels are all the same (other than pinout). The Optrex manual is pretty good: 

http://www.optrex.com/pdfs/dmcman_full.pdf 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave. 

Its not fun when the Altera reference manual points you to the lumix website, only to find the info isnt there.....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Its not fun when the Altera reference manual points you to the lumix website, only to find the info isnt there..... 

--- Quote End ---  

Yeah, kind of annoying. 

Be careful about one thing; the pinouts of the LCD modules are not identical. Check the data sheet for the Lumux part before plugging it into say the Santa Cruz header LCD connector. The power pins have different pin assignments ... a mirror reflection if I recall correctly. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Its already plugged into my dev board and wont be going anywhere else, so Im not too concerned about the pinout.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Its already plugged into my dev board and wont be going anywhere else, so Im not too concerned about the pinout. 

--- Quote End ---  

Don't be so sure ... 

I had to pull the LCD panel off my Stratix IV GX development kits. The designers forgot to check for voltage compatibility between the LCD and FPGA I/O. The 5V LCDs appear to have pullups on the input data buses, so these signals violate the voltage specification of the FPGA I/O pins when you read from the LCD. 

The earlier DE2 boards also have this problem. My solution there was to drive the bus to 3.3V when in idle. 

Just be warned :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

[QUOTE= 

http://www.optrex.com/pdfs/dmcman_full.pdf 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, Dave. That is just what I need:o
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Tricky: 

Just wondering if you got your board's LCD screen to work ?  

I have a cyclone 4 gx transceiver kit with a lumex 14 pin lcd and my code does not work on it however on my DE2 board with a 16pin LCD (2 extra pins for LCD enable controls), my code works perfectly fine.  

I have accounted for clock speeds and all but have no idea how the lumex lcd works on the transceiver development board > 

Any ideas, help would be amazing :)  

Thanks, 

Abdulhak  

Student
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Abdulhak 

I never actually got round to using the screen in the end. Much is the nature of where I work - investigation gets in the way of customer needs!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the CPLD and the FPGA are both driving the same lines that run into the LCD screen. I was trying to find a work around. 

Thanks Tricky.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Abdulhak, 

Could you make your Cyclone 4 gx transceiver kit working with a lumex 14 pin lcd ? 

Is it possible for you to share your code with me? 

Thanks, 

sneema
0 Kudos