FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5924 Discussions

Line In and Mic in of WM8731

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there everyone, 

I am new to this forum and hope to get along with you all!:) Anyway, recently i just got myself a DE1 board and was wondering if it's possible to use both the LINE IN and MIC IN of the wolfson WM8731 codec simultaneously. I am trying to use the processor to monitor both input simultaneously and produce an output at the speaker. Is this possible? i am trying to achieve a real time 2 mic system to monitor sound sources and perform a blind source separation using the NIOS II processor. Any ideas anyone? Many thanx in advance!:)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello there everyone, 

I am new to this forum and hope to get along with you all!:) Anyway, recently i just got myself a DE1 board and was wondering if it's possible to use both the LINE IN and MIC IN of the wolfson WM8731 codec simultaneously. I am trying to use the processor to monitor both input simultaneously and produce an output at the speaker. Is this possible? i am trying to achieve a real time 2 mic system to monitor sound sources and perform a blind source separation using the NIOS II processor. Any ideas anyone? Many thanx in advance!:) 

--- Quote End ---  

Hmm... the block diagram on p.19 and the register details on p. 48 of the Wolfson WM8731 codec datasheet seem to suggest that you can route either the Microphone input or the line input to ADC (not both). 

BUT, since the inputs (and outputs) are stereo, is it possible that you can get away with having "mono. mics" to your line-ins? I am not an audio expert so sorry if that idea is not suitable for your project. 

Good luck. 

Bart
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Bart, 

Thank you so much for your reply! i've gone through page 19 of the datasheet as you mentioned and was kinda disappointed haha...was hoping that it can support simultaneous audio input...and mono is what i want as i'm trying to extract a target audio signal from an environment which is filled with interfering audio signals like other peopl speaking and etc using blind source separation via Independent Component Analysis. Thanx a lot for the idea on using mono mics to convert into stereo, will look into the wonderful idea!:) thanx again for the help! anyone with experience or advice please do share! hehe
0 Kudos