FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

MAX 10 RSU

SCroi1
Novice

Hello,

After implementing the RSU on our MAX 10 system(with NIOS II, software on UFM, no external flash), now we can update one of the image files (in CFM0 or CFM1,2) and in case of a failure the second image takes over, but we cannot find a way to update the NIOS II software the same way. It seems to us like only one software image is allowed at one time.

Do you know any solution to update the NIOS II software and to have a backup in case the upload fails?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SCroi1
Novice

Hi SDevaux,

Thank you for your response.

We solved our problem, which in short was: We had two CFM images and we wanted that each image to work with it's own/different software image (in the UFM). We solved this by having the NIOS processors, from the two CFM images, boot at different address (different boot vectors). The boot vector for the second CFM image should point to an UFM address that is > address space necessary for the first software image. Then we took the two ufm.rpd files, trim them, and stitched them together: 1st software image: 0x0000 _ 0xNNNN and 2nd software image: (0xNNNN + 1) _ end of UFM. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I believe you can store the NIOS 2 software in another images just like what you did for CFM0 and CFM1. Is this what you looking for?

0 Kudos
SCroi1
Novice

Hello,

Thank you for the fast response.

Is there a document/example for this?

When you Convert the 2 .sof images to .pof you can setup only on source for the NIOSII software image.

So, my understanding is that both hardware images use the same software image. Am I wrong?

What I want to accomplish is: have a factory image(CFM0) with it's software application, and an update (CFM1,2) with a different/modified software application. 

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Sorry for being late, i have confirmed that both CFM stored different hardware images but still they are using the same software images.

0 Kudos
SDevaux
Novice

hi, 

you can update your UFM with the same process than CFMx.

But you can't use UFM and update it at the same time, you need to run the update software/firmware on external memory or onchip memory, especially if you want a backup image if update fails.

0 Kudos
SCroi1
Novice

Hi SDevaux,

Thank you for your response.

We solved our problem, which in short was: We had two CFM images and we wanted that each image to work with it's own/different software image (in the UFM). We solved this by having the NIOS processors, from the two CFM images, boot at different address (different boot vectors). The boot vector for the second CFM image should point to an UFM address that is > address space necessary for the first software image. Then we took the two ufm.rpd files, trim them, and stitched them together: 1st software image: 0x0000 _ 0xNNNN and 2nd software image: (0xNNNN + 1) _ end of UFM. 

0 Kudos