FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

MAX 10 booting from external QSPI

SCroi1
Novice

Hello, I am trying to boot a NIOS II processor simple design (Hello World) from an external QSPI flash(software application). I am using MAX 10 FPGA Development Kit. I tried all 3 external flash options from AN730: 4a,4b and 5. None of them seem to work. I tried the same design using 1a and 1b options (on-chip flash UFM) and it works. The external flash seems to work well: program/verify.

I think the problem arises when the NIOS II tries to boot. For some reason, it looks like NIOS II boots from the wrong location or the flash memory image is corrupt. I was following every step from AN730 document multiple times with no luck.

Any suggestions for what I do wrong?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

There are server example on booting the NIOS II, I usually refer to below document on doing NIOS II booting , you may select any method:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/edh_ed_handbook.pdf

0 Kudos
SCroi1
Novice

Thank you for your response!

Yes, I followed the instructions on the edh_ed_handbook and also the ones on the AN730.

The system works when I use the flash device from the development kit(N25Q512A83) but when I try to use the flash chip that we need to use in our application: GD25Q16 the MAX10/NIOS_II project fails to boot. I can load the software .hex file into the flash device, but the MAX 10 fails to boot. I tried with both flash interfaces: the "Generic_Serial_Flash_interface" and Generic_Quad_SPI_Controller. No luck.

Can you please help me with the changes that need to be done in order to use a GD25Q16 flash device? If helps I can send you the project. 

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I have checked, based on the Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel® FPGA IP User Guide:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-gen-sfi.pdf#page=3

Unfortunately, the GD25Q16  is not supported. The supported flash devices for configuration memory are, EPCQ, EPCQ-A, EPCQ-L, and
Micron* MT25Q (256Mb to 2Gb) devices. 

0 Kudos